JWP Project

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I visited the San Diego Bonsai exhibit last month. Good show, I’ll try to post some pix. But in their sales area they had this white pine for sale. It was under $100. They were looking to sell it to someone outside of SD b/c it was in decline. The gal said she had bought it a couple of years ago but couldn’t keep the tree healthy in San Diego b/c of the lack of winter. I thought I might give it a try in my garden back here in St Louis.

20170924_202639917_iOS.jpg

I’ve had some success growing JBP in my garden. I’m hoping I can replicate with this JWP. This is my first JWP.

I started by removing all the wire. I’d like to nurse it back to full strength. Much of the wire was cutting in. You can see where several branches have lost all their needles and many of the current needles are browning. My intention is to overwinter properly and get it growing well next year before any work.

Any JWP help or advice?

Am I to assume overwintering will be the same as JBP?

Does this tree have any chance?

Thanks in advance

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Good pick up for the money. The tree is weak but will probably recover with a little luck and TLC now that it's in a better climate. JWP are more cold hardy then JBP but like less water. It's hard to tell but I wonder if the tree might be over-potted which could be keeping it a bit too wet. Watching the moisture level at the roots and a little extra winter protection would probably be a good idea for this year. I'd think about a re-pot at the appropriate time next spring, mainly to get a look at the roots and get it into the right soil/pot. Good luck with it.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good pick up for the money. The tree is weak but will probably recover with a little luck and TLC now that it's in a better climate. JWP are more cold hardy then JBP but like less water. It's hard to tell but I wonder if the tree might be over-potted which could be keeping it a bit too wet. Watching the moisture level at the roots and a little extra winter protection would probably be a good idea for this year. I'd think about a re-pot at the appropriate time next spring, mainly to get a look at the roots and get it into the right soil/pot. Good luck with it.

Thanks @Dav4

The soil appears to be 100% akadama. Might repot to something more like pumice/lava/akadama. Slightly less water retentive.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks @Dav4

The soil appears to be 100% akadama. Might repot to something more like pumice/lava/akadama. Slightly less water retentive.

Appreciate your thoughts.
100% akadama sounds too wet. Maybe @Adair M might chime in about his preference for soil with JWP. I suspect he might add a bite more pumice then the akadama and lava.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
JWP are more cold hardy then JBP but like less water.
But it is obviously on JBP roots, so it would like water pretty much like a JBP, IMHO.
And, this grated tree be no more cold hardy than JBP.

JWP bud chill time, on the other hand, was non-existent in San Diego. In St. Louis ... :D

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use the same soil mix for all my pines. It’s basically equal parts akadama, lava (scoria), and pumice. The key is to sift it to remove the fines. The fines (small particles) of the soil will slow the drainage and hold too much water.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graft very obvious but cost not too bad for starter. Nix kakadama and use pumice;). Will not break down and is re usable.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I too have used akadama, pumice and lava in equal parts on my grafted white pines with no issues. Make sure it gets full sun.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also use pumice, lava and akadama on my pines with no problems.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like it will be a fun tree especially for the money.

What's the name of that mix again?;)
Just so you know, Boon didn’t name his mix. It was just “my mix”.

Others named it “Boon Mix”. Boon makes no money from it. He gives his exact recipe to his students.

It works so well, it’s become famous. A commercial company wanted to purchase a license from Boon to legally have exclusive rights to the name “Boon Mix” and sell it as Boon Mix. Boon declined fearing that since he would have input as to quality control, it might tarnish his reputation.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'd use a little shot of seaweed emulsion, the chicken soup for bonsai... it couldn't hurt.

Top Bottom