JWP repotting help

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello!

I bought two JWP starting trees from a nursery during the winter . When the candles started coming out, I moved the tree to big pots with better soil ( pumice, turface and potting soil 1:1:1 roughly) without pruning the roots . However , I forgot and removed all the old soil. Just saw on bonsai tonight that it's a big mistake . Can I help my trees? Would adding mycorrhizae help them? Should I start feeding?

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
Take heart Gilad--did an emergency re-pot on a 60+year old JBP last spring and was forced to remove all of the badly compacted soil. It was essentially a bare root last spring. The tree is covered in buds and now very healthy.
I would begin feeding.
What's your location?

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
D.C. Area. I'm A bit hesitant with the feed because the roots should settle first ( I think?) . On the other hand , the candles are growing and in need of fertilizer. Thanks for the support !

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are these young and vigorous trees? If so, and you didn't really take many of the feeder roots off, then I think you'll be fine. Go ahead and feed them, just start off weak. I often remove all old soils, but do it with a strong water spray, so I don't damage the roots like combing can.

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks JudyB! I hope they'll pull through. They're very young a look robust . What your thoughts on the mycorrhizae additives ? I thought it could help . But as a newbie, I guess I'm over protective , obsessive parent.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you have it, it won't hurt, but I wouldn't spend money on them. From what I understand, each tree makes it's own particular mycorrhizae, and bought additives may or may not work. I have some I bought long ago, so still do it, but when it runs out, I doubt very much I'll get any more.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ryan Neil has stated on several occasions that JBP do not require mycorrhizae to thrive as some other pines do.

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Jean luc. They're japanese white pines though...and I was thinking to use it because I forgot to keep some of old soil

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Each species of tree that benefits from mychorazzae, uses a different species of mychorazzae. The spores are in the air. It's pointless to inoculate the soil, the mychorazzae you're inserting may not be the one the tree uses.

You must have misunderstood Ryan. JBP most certainly uses mychorazzae.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are these JWP on their own roots? Or grafted on JBP stock?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Each species of tree that benefits from mychorazzae, uses a different species of mychorazzae. The spores are in the air. It's pointless to inoculate the soil, the mychorazzae you're inserting may not be the one the tree uses.
This was what I have also understood, but was not absolutely sure of. Thanks for the clarification.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably on JBP. It's done because JBP roots add vigor to the JWP to make them grow faster. (they're still slow!)

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Jean luc. They're japanese white pines though...and I was thinking to use it because I forgot to keep some of old soil

My bad.

You must have misunderstood Ryan. JBP most certainly uses mychorazzae.

He said that mychorazzae is not requirement for JBP not that they do not use mychorazzae. I've heard it a couple of times on the videos posted to YouTube. I'll see if I can find the specific video.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeanluc,

JBP benefit from mychorazzae, but do not require it. I've never added it to soil. It will grow naturally if the soil conditions are right. It does not grow if the soil is kept wet.

My experience is that it grows great in an inorganic mix of akadama, pumice, and lava. Mixes with pine bark: not so much.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found it in Ryan's ponderosa pine demo. He talks about at about the 2 min mark.

Ponderosa Pine Demo Part 3:

Here are the first two parts for those intrsted. There is a lot of good info.

Ponderosa Pine Demo Part 1:

Ponderosa Pine Demo Part 2:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeanluc,

Thanks for posting Ryan's video. Yes, Ryan says exactly what I said about JBP not being dependent upon mychorazzae, but benefit from it if it's there.

As an aside, he goes to say that Kokonoe and Zuisho JWP if grafted on JBP will eventually die because of the different growth rates of the two types of pines.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Jeanluc,

Thanks for posting Ryan's video. Yes, Ryan says exactly what I said about JBP not being dependent upon mychorazzae, but benefit from it if it's there.

As an aside, he goes to say that Kokonoe and Zuisho JWP if grafted on JBP will eventually die because of the different growth rates of the two types of pines.
I have always been told/ heard/ experienced that JBP do better at repotting time when you do NOT bare root because of the mycrohazzae existing in the soil already, keeping at least a portion of the soil keeps some of it in there- enough to stimulate the development of more through I the rootball.... So, adding Some from an external source is not necessary..

Top Bottom