Jwp seedling color

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have several JWP seedlings growing this year but a few have both old needles and new shoots/needles that are weaker and pale yellow , some arrived that way. Others are green? I am trying to allow the soil to fully dry out between waterings, but my soil mix of turface/granite and 25 percent bark tends to stay a little wet due to a poor sifting job by me. Is this the issue? Im feeding once a week alternating fish emulsion and miracle grow. Any thoughts?

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sorry I was finally able to snap a quick pic.

Attachments

• 061520141137.jpg
    061520141137.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 52

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know this is an old post... but did you ever figure out the issue with the pale yellow needles on your seedlings? I have a bunch of Ponderosa Seedlings and few are doing the same as your JWPs did. Mine are in the same medium, same containers, same area... basically same everything. I wonder, maybe to much of the nitrogen and iron is washing out and the seedling isn't getting enough?IMG_0348.JPG

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have some looking the same and I think they are too wet, it's been the wettest summer I can remember. I water everything the same as Walter suggests, it's only the seedlings that are yellow, they have been for 2 months. I was unprepared for the quantity of substrate needed so the mix is different than the other trees (too much DE in some and DE and pine bark in others), I have never seen yellow pine needles since I changed my substrate to inorganic but saw this referenced somewhere else over this past month "pines like it dryer" I went and had a look and yes the way this lies in the pot is flatter and closer without the 2/3s stone and lava in my other mixes. I have watered once every 2 days over the past week and am waiting to see results, I am hoping they will be okay till the spring and I'll change the mix then. I'd say let them dry out more, a lot of people supplement on top of liquid but I use Miracle Grow and as far as I can tell it has everything to keep them healthy, you might get added benefits from a supplement but I would not expect any deficiencies with straight Miracle Grow if it is strong enough, I use the garden strength in pots with inorganic mix.

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you both for your feedback. I have a feeling it might be a bit of both issues (to wet and losing nutrients). I just repotted one of the pale ones into a pumice mix that I've planted a few others in, that I collected late in the season. They're taking off and showing no signs of stress and new needles are bright to dark green.

I'll see if this repotted one will respond to the new substrate. I'm going to pick up some Mira Acid too, I'll be able to use that on some of my other plants like Azaleas.

Top Bottom