JWP Styling advice

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I’m have posted a few times regarding my JWP. I got it a month ago and now I’m planning what I would like it to look like. I’m a little lost for ideas if I’m being honest, I have looked online for inspiration but the look is quite different to other JWP I see.

i was thinking about moving the left hand branches down a little to give a wider look but I really am unsure.

id be interested in what you guys would do and if you have any inspiration?

Attachments

• 841117DB-CD0D-4A95-9673-8450B7BDC247.jpeg
    841117DB-CD0D-4A95-9673-8450B7BDC247.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 14E02D14-BE68-4604-A8E4-26A3306D5667.jpeg
    14E02D14-BE68-4604-A8E4-26A3306D5667.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 267E9A2D-ECDE-4B75-BEFB-C743E9259CEB.jpeg
    267E9A2D-ECDE-4B75-BEFB-C743E9259CEB.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I would 100% wire up those badboys to hang a bit more horizontal or lower. Although I would probably wait till winter. I think it has great bones to be shaped like a classic bonsai. Nice tree!

1592521510666.png

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello guys,

I’m have posted a few times regarding my JWP. I got it a month ago and now I’m planning what I would like it to look like. I’m a little lost for ideas if I’m being honest, I have looked online for inspiration but the look is quite different to other JWP I see.

i was thinking about moving the left hand branches down a little to give a wider look but I really am unsure.

id be interested in what you guys would do and if you have any inspiration?

This is a nice tree and can get a lot better with proper training

First of all.....Please put your location on your profile so we dont have to ask you over and over again because with so many members, we will not remember.
This way you can get proper advice for your location.

Second, planning is great. Spend a lot of time looking at this tree and thinking about what you might do. Spend alot of time looking at other pines, especially white pines that look similar in shape and decide what you like and what you dont

Third: If its summer where you are, now is not the time to wire this pine. JWP are best wired starting in what would be early fall. So for my area, that would be in September/October. You can safely wire a pine until early March.

If you can still get your hands on it, I recommend a book called "Pines" which is a collection of articles printed from Bonsai Today (?) that describes care for JWP and JBP. Make sure you are in the correct section of the book, the two species are treated VERY differently.

Also, @Adair M is our resident JWP expert. He has some very beautiful and mature JWP trees. Search the forums for info from him about JWP. Im sure he will chime in here now that I have tagged him.

Lastly, find a local club or someone that is knowledgable about JWP and get them to help you with this tree. Many nice trees are killed by new people that arent sure what to do when.

Enjoy and Good luck!

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score
I would 100% wire up those badboys to hang a bit more horizontal or lower. Although I would probably wait till winter. I think it has great bones to be shaped like a classic bonsai. Nice tree!

View attachment 310127
This is what I was first thinking to be honest

View attachment 310127
This is what I was first thinking to be honest so good to know I wasn’t that far off!

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a nice tree and can get a lot better with proper training

First of all.....Please put your location on your profile so we dont have to ask you over and over again because with so many members, we will not remember.
This way you can get proper advice for your location.

Second, planning is great. Spend a lot of time looking at this tree and thinking about what you might do. Spend alot of time looking at other pines, especially white pines that look similar in shape and decide what you like and what you dont

Third: If its summer where you are, now is not the time to wire this pine. JWP are best wired starting in what would be early fall. So for my area, that would be in September/October. You can safely wire a pine until early March.

If you can still get your hands on it, I recommend a book called "Pines" which is a collection of articles printed from Bonsai Today (?) that describes care for JWP and JBP. Make sure you are in the correct section of the book, the two species are treated VERY differently.

Also, @Adair M is our resident JWP expert. He has some very beautiful and mature JWP trees. Search the forums for info from him about JWP. Im sure he will chime in here now that I have tagged him.

Lastly, find a local club or someone that is knowledgable about JWP and get them to help you with this tree. Many nice trees are killed by new people that arent sure what to do when.

Enjoy and Good luck!
Thankyou!
That’s all updated now also.
I have spoken to Adair a few times so it would be interesting to see what he has to say.
Thankyou for the book suggestion also, I will have a look online today

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thankyou!
That’s all updated now also.
I have spoken to Adair a few times so it would be interesting to see what he has to say.
Thankyou for the book suggestion also, I will have a look online today
It could use some wire. The time to do that is late summer/early fall. JWP “typically” don’t feature downward hanging branches. They’re usually rained to be more horizontal.

it looks like the first couple branches are getting rather long when compared to the size of the trunk. It might be a good idea to shorten them back. Thus will help them from getting too thick, relative to the trunk.

The tree needs to grow, and grow more branches. The develop slowly, unfortunately. You’ll have to exercise a lot of patience while you wait! Lol!!! The worst thing you could do is “fiddle with it@ too much.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That peice of small first right branch is the perfect size to start branching over with.

If you have equally good small things up throughout, I would consider trimming it back, looking for that smallest design possible.

Sorce

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score
It could use some wire. The time to do that is late summer/early fall. JWP “typically” don’t feature downward hanging branches. They’re usually rained to be more horizontal.

it looks like the first couple branches are getting rather long when compared to the size of the trunk. It might be a good idea to shorten them back. Thus will help them from getting too thick, relative to the trunk.

The tree needs to grow, and grow more branches. The develop slowly, unfortunately. You’ll have to exercise a lot of patience while you wait! Lol!!! The worst thing you could do is “fiddle with it@ too much.
Ok that sounds like a good plan... little bit of wire, little off the ends and some more waiting haha!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok that sounds like a good plan... little bit of wire, little off the ends and some more waiting haha!

Bonsai will teach you patience thats for sure. One way or another.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All that said, to my eye, it’s tall. As in “too tall”. Now there’s two ways to shorten it. One is to use pruners and cut it back. The other is to “crunch” it using raffia, heavy wire, jacks and guy wires.

JWP grow slowly. If it were my tree, I’d try to crunch it. Get the help of someone experienced.

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score
All that said, to my eye, it’s tall. As in “too tall”. Now there’s two ways to shorten it. One is to use pruners and cut it back. The other is to “crunch” it using raffia, heavy wire, jacks and guy wires.

JWP grow slowly. If it were my tree, I’d try to crunch it. Get the help of someone experienced.
Could you show me some examples of ‘crunching’ my the tree. Not something I’m aware of at all and how would you shorten it Adair?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Could you show me some examples of ‘crunching’ my the tree. Not something I’m aware of at all and how would you shorten it Adair?
I think @Adair M means wiring it up and compressing the top branches/trunk section with guy wires and bending devices to shorten it, instead of just cutting the top off to make it shorter

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score

Like this?

Attachments

• A61EEA85-9453-4AB0-ABF1-C3F71D532CE4.jpeg
    A61EEA85-9453-4AB0-ABF1-C3F71D532CE4.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 67

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score
I think @Adair M means wiring it up and compressing the top branches/trunk section with guy wires and bending devices to shorten it, instead of just cutting the top off to make it shorter
Way off or getting closer?

Attachments

• 7E514DE8-9846-4CE0-81B8-E5904C24E963.jpeg
    7E514DE8-9846-4CE0-81B8-E5904C24E963.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 61

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Mattmattmm

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes. Putting more bend in those curves.
So how long would you leave the clamps in place to achieve the bends.
Because the plan could be, in September prune a little of the ends and clamp the trunk and then in March take these clamps off and repot (I spoke to the nursery and they said it could do with reporting next spring).
How does that sound in your opinion?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So how long would you leave the clamps in place to achieve the bends.
Because the plan could be, in September prune a little of the ends and clamp the trunk and then in March take these clamps off and repot (I spoke to the nursery and they said it could do with reporting next spring).
How does that sound in your opinion?
You don’t leave the clamps in place. You use the jack to make the bend, and you secure the bend in place using guy wires. Once the guy is in place, holding the position, the jack is removed.

The guy wires might need to remain there for a year or two.

perhaps the best way is to insert a stainless steel screw at each end, and apply the pressure of the jack thru the screws. Then tie with the guy wire.

if after a month or so you decide you want more crunch, then reattach the jack, and crunch more, and tighten the guy.

You’ll know when the crunch has taken when you can push on the guy wire, and it’s not under full tension like it was when you first applied it.

Then cut the guy, and remove the screws. The screw holes should heal quickly.

The whole process will take several years for a serious “crunch”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom