JWP winter requirements

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi guys

I would like to get a JWP, but I have several doubts about winter. The climate in my location is oceanic, with an average temperature of 8°C (december, january, february) and more or less 1000mm of precipitation total per year. I would say that it is very similar to London but a bit more warmer in winter and windier (coastal area).

What do you think pals? I have been reading about JWP and seems to be less tolerant to mild winters than hot summers...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Just remember you can't add cool by removing sunlight. 😉

Sorce

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

Just remember you can't add cool by removing sunlight. 😉

Sorce
Haha I know I know, but I'd rather use natural wintering methods and my question was fosued to that, if my climate will be enough for this particular kind of tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha I know I know, but I'd rather use natural wintering methods and my question was fosued to that, if my climate will be enough for this particular kind of tree.

I'm only joshing a passed thread.

There are 2 rather recent ones with some similar situations. If I recall, both Oceanside.

Perhaps a search of White Coast may work.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you add your location in your profile, and your climate zone, it helps people to answer your questions.

JWP should have no issues with London (UK) climate.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If its grafted to JBP or other root stock, it should be fine.
I've always been told they like a cold winter but I have never seen details of exactly what that means.
I have a couple of them myself and they seem to do fine here.

As Leatherback mentioned, Please put your location in your profile.
Many bonsai questions are dependent on your location and this is a good example of one

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hidden Lake Gardens, the Michigan State University Botanical Garden at Tipton, MI, has a conifer section and the JWP section is at the top of Juniper Hill, elevation ~1,000 ft/300m. (The whole place is in what we call the Irish Hills). It is about 7 miles west of Tecumseh, MI (elev. 801ft/243m) which has this weather. That would make it quite windy in winter in USDA zone 5b. It has many varieties young and old. They do fine.

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
I am not really concerned about hot or changing temperatures. The problem (as I see it ) is if the winter will be enough for a mountain tree or it may lose strength year after year due to lack of winter stop.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am not really concerned about hot or changing temperatures. The problem (as I see it ) is if the winter will be enough for a mountain tree or it may lose strength year after year due to lack of winter stop.
1. How much $$ are you wanting to shell out initially? Wait until you're satisfied you can properly care for and provide
climate to keep a grafted one by experimenting with a JWP grafted to JBP or similar under stock before you shell
out a lot of $$ for a developed bonsai. From what I understand, JWP tends to be less colorful on its' on roots, less vigorous
and more demanding of a Winter dormancy.
The handful of JWP I have are grafted to JBP, or EWP of sorts (strobus).

What I like to suggest is to look at the local landscaped yards, businesses, golf courses and nurseries for 5 needle pines.
2. Do any 5 needle pines grow naturally there? Even if they're 100 foot tall EWP or < 1 meter grafted dwarfs. If they do not exist locally there's a reason.
3. If you can accommodate the chill factor necessary to grow well but cannot provide full Sunlight then you should not attempt.
1b. If you can keep some alive 5 or 6 years, then you might shell out more $$ for a more developed piece.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My guess would be that your climate is marginal or too warm for Japanese white pine. They need at least 2 months of night time temperatures below +4 C. in order to receive proper chill. Less than 60 days of nights below +4 C, and you are likely to experience slow decline. Daytime high temps are not that important. Cooling off at night is important.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My guess would be that your climate is marginal or too warm for Japanese white pine. They need at least 2 months of night time temperatures below +4 C. in order to receive proper chill. Less than 60 days of nights below +4 C, and you are likely to experience slow decline. Daytime high temps are not that important. Cooling off at night is important.
My guess as well. I live in coastal CA (San Francisco Bay Area) and we can't keep JWP here. You're slightly more north than us but not much. It sucks as I'd love to have one. No Larches either...

Oh well, on the bright side, we can keep lots of other species and don't have to worry about winter protection like so many others.

Cory

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
1. How much $$ are you wanting to shell out initially? Wait until you're satisfied you can properly care for and provide
climate to keep a grafted one by experimenting with a JWP grafted to JBP or similar under stock before you shell
out a lot of $$ for a developed bonsai. From what I understand, JWP tends to be less colorful on its' on roots, less vigorous
and more demanding of a Winter dormancy.
The handful of JWP I have are grafted to JBP, or EWP of sorts (strobus).

What I like to suggest is to look at the local landscaped yards, businesses, golf courses and nurseries for 5 needle pines.
2. Do any 5 needle pines grow naturally there? Even if they're 100 foot tall EWP or < 1 meter grafted dwarfs. If they do not exist locally there's a reason.
3. If you can accommodate the chill factor necessary to grow well but cannot provide full Sunlight then you should not attempt.
1b. If you can keep some alive 5 or 6 years, then you might shell out more $$ for a more developed piece.
Well, I did look into local nurseries and have found some grafted JWP, young and old stock as well. Not plenty, but enough for testing.

Regarding pinus strobus, we did not have it naturally here, but I do have pinus mugo and uncinata, which I think are mountain pines.

What I was looking for is cheap stock, getting to know the species and trying to check its necesities, particularly winter conditions.

So, I think what I am going to do is buy some cheap stock and see its evolution.

Thank you for your advice sir!

Last edited:

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
Agreed. I will try with some cheap stock in order to test

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
My guess as well. I live in coastal CA (San Francisco Bay Area) and we can't keep JWP here. You're slightly more north than us but not much. It sucks as I'd love to have one. No Larches either...

Oh well, on the bright side, we can keep lots of other species and don't have to worry about winter protection like so many others.

Cory
Yes, we can, that is a pretty good advantage of our climate :)

Well, larches are another problem... a good friend of mine is trying with non natural winter methods (he lives even in a warmer climate) with pretty decent results as well as needle fall in winter.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Larches are cool climate trees, as is Pinus strobus.

Top Bottom