JWP wire marks

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Grafts are also visible for a long time.
Here is a pic from my wp, you can see the difference in bark
DSC_0011.JPG

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Osoyoung,

It would be interesting to examine the wiring of this one up close. I have seen some that look stupendous from a distance, but up close, they've pulled branches and twigs from the back yo fill in the pads and make them look fuller than they really are. Looks great in the photo, and from the front, but the view from the back is poor.

I'm not saying that is the case here... Can't tell. But a really skilled wire job can trick the camera.

You make this sound like a bad thing....Does the view from the back really matter? Isn't this kind of fooling the eye what a good artist does? I agree that ultimately you want a tree that you don't have to do this to but perfect trees are about as rare as perfect people.

I would never consider buying the tree in question....even without knowing the price....to me these import JWPs are as bad or worse than the S curve elms coming from China. It is extremely difficult to find one with a decent graft and taper. Even the 5 figure JWP you see for sale in the U.S. often leave something to be desired.

I spent half a day wandering through the growing fields in Takamatsu to pick this pine...it was the only one I considered buying out of hundreds....and I was desperate to buy one...so good ones(in a reasonable price range) are even hard to find in Japan....2008 pic
P1040076.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The bottom trunk is JBP. Below the first branch. Usually, anything above the first branch would be JWP. This one looks different. Perhaps wire was tightly wrapped above the graft Union to scar it, or something to make the White Pine get rough, or maybe there's two grafts... Hard to say.

Which is why buying trees over the Internet is hit or miss. I'd really like to see this one in person to see what's really going on.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You make this sound like a bad thing....Does the view from the back really matter? Isn't this kind of fooling the eye what a good artist does? I agree that ultimately you want a tree that you don't have to do this to but perfect trees are about as rare as perfect people.

I would never consider buying the tree in question....even without knowing the price....to me these import JWPs are as bad or worse than the S curve elms coming from China. It is extremely difficult to find one with a decent graft and taper. Even the 5 figure JWP you see for sale in the U.S. often leave something to be desired.

I spent half a day wandering through the growing fields in Takamatsu to pick this pine...it was the only one I considered buying out of hundreds....and I was desperate to buy one...so good ones(in a reasonable price range) are even hard to find in Japan....2008 pic
P1040076.JPG
John, that was a half day well spent!

I agree with you on the grafted JWP pines. I see a lot of bad ones. Very few good ones. The really good ones get snapped up quickly in Japan.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are white pines from seed that bad that all are grafted?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
JWP from seed vary with their needle quality. Everyone likes the ones with nice tight tufts of straight needles, so that variety is grafted.

They grow extremely slowly on their own roots, so grafting into JBP gives them a little more vigor. And, it takes decades for their bark to change from the smooth grey bark to flakey, and then another decade to start to make plates of bark. Grafting onto JBP will give you a mature lower trunk

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Thank you for all the replies! I'll sit tight for now. Just thought it was the best (affordable) JWP I've seen offered out there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The bottom trunk is JBP. Below the first branch. Usually, anything above the first branch would be JWP. This one looks different. Perhaps wire was tightly wrapped above the graft Union to scar it, or something to make the White Pine get rough, or maybe there's two grafts... Hard to say.

Which is why buying trees over the Internet is hit or miss. I'd really like to see this one in person to see what's really going on.

They've got quite a few decent ones in the most recent batch. And then there are a few that are 4 figures and not fit for a viking funeral.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, the grafted ones are pretty expensive.

They have to be quarantined for 3 years! Then barefooted, and shipped in. A lot of them don't survive. So the importers have to mark up the survivors to make up for the losses.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I worked at a bonsai nursery with a quarantine house for 3 summers. You wouldn't believe all the rules and regulations involved with importing trees to this country.

Andrew

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Or maybe Weyerhauser, Boise Cascade, Archer Daniels Midland are behind it - suppose that's possible?

Where do most "retired" civil servants go to work upon completion of their 'civil service' when it's time to double dip..?..

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Osoyoung,

It would be interesting to examine the wiring of this one up close. I have seen some that look stupendous from a distance, but up close, they've pulled branches and twigs from the back yo fill in the pads and make them look fuller than they really are. Looks great in the photo, and from the front, but the view from the back is poor.

I'm not saying that is the case here... Can't tell. But a really skilled wire job can trick the camera.
Interesting tree/planting. If you look close at the place where the soil and the pot meet you can see that the tree is actually planted in some sort of wire container and just sitting in the pot. However: The color of this five needle Pine suggests it is not a graft but growing on its own roots. Most grafted JWP's seem to be of the Glaucsus varieties. I have grown a few JWP's from see to know that color is not one of the grafted cultivars. Zooming in on the base of the tree (how I discovered the screened planter) the bark does not look rough enough to be JBP. Of course this is just opinion and nothing more.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the tree is in Japan, it could be yamadori.

Well, let me rephrase that... It could very well be a yamadori. Yamadori JWP are rare outside Japan.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Interesting tree/planting. If you look close at the place where the soil and the pot meet you can see that the tree is actually planted in some sort of wire container and just sitting in the pot. However: The color of this five needle Pine suggests it is not a graft but growing on its own roots. Most grafted JWP's seem to be of the Glaucsus varieties. I have grown a few JWP's from see to know that color is not one of the grafted cultivars. Zooming in on the base of the tree (how I discovered the screened planter) the bark does not look rough enough to be JBP. Of course this is just opinion and nothing more.
I suspect that plastic mesh is a ring, and has been placed just inside the lip of the pot to hold the fertilizer cakes and/or soil in place.
Most grafted white pines are actually Miyajima; which have a blue (glauca) hue and coarser foliage because the JBP root stock encourages that stronger growth. Glauca foliage is somewhat larger. The one from Hagedorn's blog looks more like white pine foliage on its own roots; finer-textured, greener needles.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Well, we are going to get the chance to find out...My wife surprised me with a late birthday gift and I should have the tree in my hands next week. Looking at more pictures it may not have the reverse taper but, I will know for sure very soon...Very excited either way.

Top Bottom