Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

It is the same plant. Just in Dutch/German and English. Pictures could be different cameras/colour conversion/lightning.
Hardiness values are usually what people report it is at least hardy to.

Ok, that's really good to know.... and new learning for me.

To summarise this new learning: What you are saying that just any yayhoo in the field can report a cultivar's hardiness value?
.... and that's why I found 4 different hardiness values from -5C to -27C, or five counting yours?

So bottom line.... which is most correct, the highest, the lowest, the mean, the average or the one that is reported closest to where you are planting the azalea? ;)

Cheers
DSD sends

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

To summarise this new learning: What you are saying that just any yayhoo in the field can report a cultivar's hardiness value?
.... and that's why I found 4 different hardiness values from -5C to -27C, or five counting yours?

So bottom line.... which is most correct, the highest, the lowest, the mean, the average or the one that is reported closest to where you are planting the azalea? ;)

Cheers
DSD sends
Don't worry... be happy :cool:
I've send an email to the nursery where I bought them. To be continued....

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

It is the same plant. Just in Dutch/German and English. Pictures could be different cameras/colour conversion/lightning.
Hardiness values are usually what people report it is at least hardy to.
Yup,
Found it now... the same plant.... very confusing because not every azalea the name is translated

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Cheers
DSD sends

People/nurseries of course report the hardiness of the coldest winter their plants survived and did well the spring after. Hachmann is in Northern Germany. But I suspect their data may also come from colder parts of Germany. The -5C is definitely way too low. And it is a British source from a pretty generic site. In the US, many areas have a more continental climate much further south, but with the same hardiness zones, compared to Europe. So of course you cannot say that a plant is hardy in Germany to -18C if a plant survived -18C in a very continental climate. The best example is Glendoick Garden in Scotland. They have very poor summers and as a consequence, winter hardiness of many evergreen azaleas is much lower. Even though it doesn't get very cold there either. Cox of Glendoick also mentions late spring frost as a problem.

Blue Danube isn't among the most hardy evergreen azaleas available in Europe. But it definitely is hardy here. Even more so considering the winters the last decade compared to the winters following 1965, which is when Blue Danube was registered.

If it get extremely cold (like below -12C), or very cold with windy, I would consider moving it in an unheated shed for those couple of nights, just to be sure. Same thing with a very early or very late frost. But if it gets -5C or something somewhere in January, I wouldn't bother moving it indoors.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only answer I got... they're winter hardy in Belgium...
They don't have a list with min temps...
The lowest temp I found on a website was -15C

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
People/nurseries of course report the hardiness of the coldest winter their plants survived and did well the spring after. Hachmann is in Northern Germany. But I suspect their data may also come from colder parts of Germany. The -5C is definitely way too low. And it is a British source from a pretty generic site. In the US, many areas have a more continental climate much further south, but with the same hardiness zones, compared to Europe. So of course you cannot say that a plant is hardy in Germany to -18C if a plant survived -18C in a very continental climate. The best example is Glendoick Garden in Scotland. They have very poor summers and as a consequence, winter hardiness of many evergreen azaleas is much lower. Even though it doesn't get very cold there either. Cox of Glendoick also mentions late spring frost as a problem.

Blue Danube isn't among the most hardy evergreen azaleas available in Europe. But it definitely is hardy here. Even more so considering the winters the last decade compared to the winters following 1965, which is when Blue Danube was registered.

If it get extremely cold (like below -12C), or very cold with windy, I would consider moving it in an unheated shed for those couple of nights, just to be sure. Same thing with a very early or very late frost. But if it gets -5C or something somewhere in January, I wouldn't bother moving it indoors.
Thank so much!
I’m thinking how one might summarize this information for the guide so folks would have a decent handle on the hardiness of their evergreen azaleas for their area.
DSD sends

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hardiness is very tricky. Still waiting for a cold winter to see what exactly that does to my own azaleas. There hasn't been one here since 2010. I can imagine that some plants may deal better with very low tempetures, while others deal better with strong winds while frozen, while again others are better in timing their dormancy and awakening. Things like snow cover are also major factors.

This is a good article:

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hardiness is very tricky. Still waiting for a cold winter to see what exactly that does to my own azaleas. There hasn't been one here since 2010. I can imagine that some plants may deal better with very low tempetures, while others deal better with strong winds while frozen, while again others are better in timing their dormancy and awakening. Things like snow cover are also major factors.

This is a good article:
Yup,
I guess protection against east and north winds will be crucial. That'll be no problem for me.
And as you mentioned, the plants covered with snow is not the same. OThe previous winters we had almost no snow. Snow = isolation.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, we usually don't have snow here. Even when it gets cold. In Japan and many parts of the US, that is different. And for many wild azalea species at altitude, they often are covered by snow for most of the winter.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update progress.
Multiple shoots growing... so multiple choices next spring
Well done! At this point I'd consider and unheated garage with a window for the winter. Those leaves look like they'll be too small and tender, even if they grow out it would be a shame to loose them.
cheers
DSD sends

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well done! At this point I'd consider and unheated garage with a window for the winter. Those leaves look like they'll be too small and tender, even if they grow out it would be a shame to loose them.
cheers
DSD sends
You mean without a window? Windows are usually problematic with buds starting too early in spring with all that brings. ?

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
cheers
DSD sends
Thanks for the info. Will do 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom