Kaede-en Review

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Just got a shipment from www.kaedebonsai-en.com/ as a Christmas (well, Epiphanytide) gift. 1 Japanese Red Pine and a bundle of Amur maple seedlings. I'd like to point out there's a bunch more amurs in there than I ordered- not that I'm complaining!

The Amurs are fated to a clump-on-rock, while what the JRP will do depends on how far down I can get buds on the poor guy. (Can I wire it now? The shipping probably was a bit stressful, and it did drop some of the oldest needles.)

Order came in promptly, thoughtfully packed, and in good shape. I recommend them highly, and I only wish I ordered more stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_20230105_140316.jpg
    IMG_20230105_140316.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Matt is awesome, he almost always send a few extra seedlings. I ordered tridents, bald cypress, big gingko seedlings, an itoigawa and a pomegranate from him last month.

You can wire the red pine if you would like, I wired all the JBP seedlings I got from him in 2021 before placing them into pots.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Don't forget Kaede-en is a reliable source of high quality Japanese Bonsai pots, a relatively rare resource.

I have ordered both pots and trees from Matt and have always been happy. I've known Matt for more than 10 maybe 15 years. Knew him way back when his business was in Chicago area. I buy from him every other year or so, then its usually a nice pot.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't forget Kaede-en is a reliable source of high quality Japanese Bonsai pots, a relatively rare resource.

I have ordered both pots and trees from Matt and have always been happy. I've known Matt for more than 10 maybe 15 years. Knew him way back when his business was in Chicago area. I buy from him every other year or so, then its usually a nice pot.
I would bet that over the whole course of my bonsai addiction, 90% of the pots I have bought have come from MattO. Including the new Haramatsu for the JWP

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My JBP, tridents, JM, Korean Hornbeams and Chinese Quinces are from Matt. Can recommend him enough!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Likewise. I am fortunate to have him almost in my backyard now. His place up in Md. is terrific to visit.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad I saw this, I have been looking on the site but didn’t know if it was legit. I will definitely be ordering some stuff

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Matt is awesome !!! I consider him a good friend of mine, his pots are very reasonably priced and the selections is tremendous...There are sellers on EBay directly from Japan that charges a lot higher with high shipping cost and you have wait a long time to get them. You cannot go wrong dealing with Matt. Tommy.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
In a way I partly blame him for my pot addiction.😂
I am fully blaming him for my pot addiction, I wanna collect them and have them stack neatly under benches like Mach5 does when I have a bigger house with nicer garden …. But the way I’m spending money on trees and pot …. That dream may never realized lol

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have purchased a few of trees and a several pots on his eBay store. I’m always pleased with the packaging and service! The products are awesome too!
In fact because of this thread, I just bought 2 more pots. Lol
This one has been on eBay for quite awhile- I wanted to grab it last summer but found something else instead.
E4A8984E-A60E-4CCC-BA16-38BF544222FE.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Amamiya Shinobu? I can't think of a single person that gets even close to rivaling his carved motifs on pots, dude is a genius.
Yes- it’s my first. I’m unfamiliar with pots overall but I know what I like! When I saw this, I had to make it mine. 😁

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes- it’s my first. I’m unfamiliar with pots overall but I know what I like! When I saw this, I had to make it mine. 😁
I think its a Tank Ranzan pot, I have one similar but unglazed. Beautiful pot.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think its a Tank Ranzan pot, I have one similar but unglazed. Beautiful pot.
It is Shinobu. 4 3/4 in size. I have only one other 360 carved pot it is by Yamayso, it is even smaller at 2 3/4. It is my precious, and also from Matt.

Top Bottom