Kaho satsuki in flower

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is my large Kaho Satsuki. The flowers are starting to wilt. I figure that by Wednesday I will have to start removing all flowers that are left. The tree is about 36" tall and I have had it for about 7 years. The blooms are mostly white with patches of pink and pink striped. Planted in 100% large size Kanuma.

Tom

Attachments

• HPIM0295.jpg
    HPIM0295.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 119
  • HPIM0301.jpg
    HPIM0301.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 56
  • HPIM0302.jpg
    HPIM0302.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 49
  • HPIM0304.jpg
    HPIM0304.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 44

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tom,
I have a very similar-looking one, it's not even worth posting a picture since it looks almost identical in size and color as yours (the root-base of mine is about 6 inches in diameter), and it's about 2 feet tall.

Are you goint to pick off the flowers for horticultural reasons, or just for aesthetical ones? The reason I am asking is because I was pondering the same question, but I haven't decided yet. Mine is in full bloom as well, just like yours.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. Thanks for sharing! :D

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Usually when the flowers start to wilt I try to remove them all at one time. I guess I could let it keep flowering but I had heard that it is best not to allow the flowers to stay on for more than a few weeks. I also remove the center of the flower, I guess this is the tree forming a seed pod??? I think that by doing this, it keeps the tree from losing too much strength from the flowering cycle.

Tom

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree Tom.
I would suggest cleaning it up a little so you can see the trunk most of the way up the tree. Even though it is flowering, it is still good to see what is going on underneath. Also, dont let it flower to long, flowering is the second biggest stress to a satsuki, right under repotting. If you are not showing it or bringing it to a bonsai club this week, I would suggest taking off the flowers now after you get a few more pics. This is in the best interest of the tree. Looks like you have many white selfs, or Shiro-muji. These flowers will develop more shibori, or tie-dye variegated flowers, as it matures.

Last edited:

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice info Shohin Kid. I do not personally own a satsuki and do not know yet at this point if I want to. But I always enjoy looking at them. ;)

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's one spectacular satsuki! Thanks for showing it Kytombonsai!
Si Nguyen

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bless you for posting the type of satsuki yours is! I had no idea what type mine is, but it is the exact same flower as yours. Hooray!!! Mystery solved!

Hot tree too... ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Top Bottom