Kaizen Blog

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Plants were mainly free to move within the EU which we might lose, and AFAIK most Japanese imports came via big hubs in Holland? So even if there’s a new route from Japan straight to the UK that scale of economy has gone.

We’ll see I suppose.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I doubt kaizen had a lot of plants imported? Most seemed like local produce?

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
The get some stock from EU for sure a lot of the oaks and sabina etc. We just have to see how it plays out. Maybe we can ask a few of the French fishermen to bring some plants over when they come to blockade dover😉

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I doubt kaizen had a lot of plants imported? Most seemed like local produce?
The last bonsai I bought was from them, an imported Senjumaru JBP, but you’re right, it looks like that they grow a lot of their own stuff as well. Most places rely on imports mainly though I think? Rows and rows of identical stick-like Deshojo every spring for instance!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I dont think they do much growing, they bring a lot of stuff in from people who do though. often you will hear him say 'we just got a few of these in' or 'these are the fattest apples we've seen, they wont be here long etc'
my Hackberry was from about 7 he imported from spain one year. then a few months ago he had about 5 smaller ones again from spain or italy.

Chan is the biggest and most prolific grower of his own bonsai stock in this country, all air layers and ground growing. he hasnt imported a maple for years n years. that must save him tons of money.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
grower of his own bonsai stock in this country, all air layers and ground growing. he hasnt imported a maple for years n years. that must save him tons of money.
I would say, it might be one of the best ways to stay profitable as a bonsai nursery. From what I can tell, most need to sell boatloads of trees to make a living..

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would say, it might be one of the best ways to stay profitable as a bonsai nursery. From what I can tell, most need to sell boatloads of trees to make a living..
Definitely. he will buy trees from the same wholesale places i go to and just leave them out in the field, they root and grow big and he charges triple what he paid sometimes! he has a constant conveyor belt of field grown trees that go back for years and years.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe we need to start a thread entitled 'Dig deep, show us your spade handles'🤣

Mine
birdro22__small_2x.jpg
Ahh, a true robin! So much prettier than what we call robins here in the US.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very natural looking yamadori Hawthorn on Kaizen, collected 5 years ago by Kevin wilson. i love the deadwood at the base, it seems more like the tree is growing over a rock
p1160545.jpg
p1160558.jpg
p1160549.jpgp1160550.jpgp1160556.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Gonna have a cuppa tea and watch this new Potter blog post

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Potter shares his methods on reviving an ailing, old Chinese elm

P1210783.jpg

P1310598.jpg

What a beautiful elm though
P1160620-768x584.jpg

look at those angles
P1160622-768x576.jpg

P1160620-1-768x584.jpg

Last edited:

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Potter shares his methods on reviving an ailing, old Chinese elm
Thanks for sharing.

I love Grahams posts. He has a certain way of expressing himself that I relate too. Must be because he's clearly seen, and is fed up of, his fair share of crap over the years!
Great to see the Elm brought back to life and nice to focus the message on growing over styling.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This work was done in jan, but its available on youtube now.
Not a fan of the styling, but carving has most certainly improved what was a drab, uninteresting trunk devoid of taper.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If youre in the UK or parts of Europe, kaizen have very cheap starter plants, the majority at least have some movement to start out with not just straight sticks. i might have been interested a few years ago, but even now trees like this are worth buying on the cheap and planting in grow beds for a few years.

if you were to go to a garden centre you wouldnt get an apple like this it would likely be a broomstick and grafted,
the low branch here could be used as a sacrifice to help fatten the trunk or as part of a future design.
p1170149.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@leatherback @bonhe the above method is a bit similar to the large pommegranate cuttings you were discussing in that thread. I like the idea of removing the top soil until you get down to the lower trunk, to avoid having roots all over the place. seems to have worked on a few species including trident

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@leatherback @bonhe the above method is a bit similar to the large pommegranate cuttings you were discussing in that thread. I like the idea of removing the top soil until you get down to the lower trunk, to avoid having roots all over the place. seems to have worked on a few species including trident
Thanks for sharing with us. Yes, the cutting method is similar to mine. It is very important to have some leaves left on the cutting to get it survives.
Thụ Thoại

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New upload by G Potter, ill sit down and watch this later with a cuppa tea

Looks like Potter is back lol
Love his videos. His earlier videos were such a large catalyst for me getting into bonsai 10 or so years ago.

Top Bottom