Kaizen vendor experience

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
General thread for the Kaizen vendor experience

Small purchases in the past arrived in good condition and I was happy with them. Got what I payed for. Flawless packaging.

I'm planning to buy tools from them but being in Germany had to write an E-mail due to shipping (larger order). Has someone coresponded with them and can tell me how long they usually take to respond?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
tools are a larger order? I doubt they answer every email, theyre way too busy. Out of 3 emails sent over the years, one was answered.
Ordered many trees, soils, ferts. No issues for me, highly recommended.

what was the question you asked?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Im sure he gets dozens of emails about when is the best time to repot, he says this in his videos, i doubt he'd reply to emails about repotting, or carving for example😁

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bought there pre-brexit. Now the import regulations and tax consequences make it too much of a hassle.
Always perfect dealing with Kaizen. Used to be one of my go-to places.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
could probably get the spade on amazon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-113544_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-113544_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 11

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I removed the spade and split it up into 3 orders

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1 of 3 packages has arrived. Is it a cause for concern that the jaws of the knob cutter meet notacibly diagonally? If you lie it on the table, the jaws are not vertical. But they meet fine. Looks hand-made, unlike the stainless steel thing I got from them a couple years ago.
Customs wanted an additional quarter of the total price I paid on this package. I think thats a lot. So, I cant recommend Kaizen to anyone outside the UK, unless money is of little concern or you cant find the specific tool locally.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
To answer your question.
The jaws of a knob cutter slide over each other to make the cut.

bought there pre-brexit. Now the import regulations and tax consequences make it too much of a hassle.

You were warned about the additional tax.

Why didn't you order the tools in Germany?
There are quite a few good bonsai shops in your country and you don't have to pay additional tax.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The jaws of a knob cutter slide over each other to make the cut.
You misunderstood what I meant. I just took another look at it and while it looks a bit odd when it lies flat or when you just look at the jaws, its vertical in relation to the handles, so maybe that was the intention. So that seems fair enough, just didnt expect it
You were warned about the additional tax.

Why didn't you order the tools in Germany?
There are quite a few good bonsai shops in your country and you don't have to pay additional tax.
I dont know anyone who is as skilled at bonsai at him, especially in his niche. I am looking to work with similar material and aiming for similar results. Seems reasonable to think he has a better assortment of tools after trying many over the years.
I already bought from them a couple years ago without issues. Wasnt going to let a vague sense of (larger than expected) fees stop me. Although as you can read above, I did try to check with them first, but they never responded. Which I dont blame them for, probably gets thousands of mails.
I am buying from german sites regularly but they dont always have what Im looking for. Some items are not available online in Germany and so I buy from Holland, France or England at times. Although now Ive confirmed for me that England is better avoided next time if possible.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Customs wanted an additional quarter of the total price I paid on this package.
Sorry to hear. I have run into the exact same challenge. It seems like Germany takes the EU borders much more seriously than some other EU countries when it comes to taxes. I have had Stone Lantern books returned because I refused to pay the 50% markup (The customs unit also charges you for the service of charging you VAT & import taxes).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
(The customs unit also charges you for the service of charging you VAT & import taxes).
Oof, yeah I've had that happen. Got some seeds in the mail that were labelled as wooden beads, a gift. I paid a 10 euro import tax and a 6 euro "processing fee".
A couple weeks ago I received a Chinese cutter from ebay listed at 24 euros. No taxes whatsoever.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All arived
No problems

Ive actually already read the Bonsai basics book by Colin Lewis that Graham recommended (hence me writing this) and I bought from him. Its a decent book but nothing out of the ordinary. Some bits of wrong info, like saying trees sprout from internodes, saying varieties like deshojo can remain red the whole growing season if kept in bright but not sunny location (if anyone has heard of or experienced this please let me know), or things contradicting my experience, like saying never let korean hornbeam get even a bit dry when mine is one of my most drought resistent trees. Theres no section on styles or diseases and he gave cycads their own entry. Other stuff too but this is no thread for book reviews. Anyway, I cant recommend it

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oof, yeah I've had that happen. Got some seeds in the mail that were labelled as wooden beads, a gift. I paid a 10 euro import tax and a 6 euro "processing fee".
A couple weeks ago I received a Chinese cutter from ebay listed at 24 euros. No taxes whatsoever.
Lol, that was me. I assumed "beads" would make it through customs easier than "seeds."

Would there have been a way to avoid the excess import fees, or would that have happened no matter what?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lol, that was me. I assumed "beads" would make it through customs easier than "seeds."

Would there have been a way to avoid the excess import fees, or would that have happened no matter what?
It would have happened no matter what, or maybe not at all. No clear indication on either side. But It seems that now with the general worker shortage worldwide, there's way fewer controls on shipments. Then again, the US knows so few carriers that it's easy to recognize shipments from outside of the European Union.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(The customs unit also charges you for the service of charging you VAT & import taxes).
Been there too! Skin care stuff from South Korea multiple times shipped as merchandise and not one issue ever.

But someone from the UK sent me some customized decals to brighten up some white ceramic plant holders, marked it as a gift and value of 5€ in a letter envelope and boom. Hello customs rip-off fees.

Top Bottom