Kalmia latifolia hard chop question

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is a kalmia latifolia "Elf" I picked up last year. It just came out of winter storage and I'm planning a hard chop to get it started on it's bonsai journey. I love the trunk texture and small leaves. The plan is to cut the three largest branches off and leave the a few smaller branches with growing tips and foliage. I'm nervous to over-reduce an evergreen plant. I'm also a beginner so I err to caution.

My main question is about timing of the cut. As I understand the standard practice would be to cut and report in spring before growth. But I've come across some who advocate working broadleaf trees during the growing season. But is this the same as deciduous broadleaf? What are people's thoughts on timing?

Additionally, I have the option of leaving it in the nursery pot or putting into a training pot. I'm leaning towards the latter but am curious on thoughts about this too.

I'm in southern maine, zone 5 so we're just having bud break here, and I have no ability to put this plant in the ground. It's nursery pot or bonsai pot.

Attachments

• PXL_20220412_001025664.jpg
    PXL_20220412_001025664.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20220412_001014127.jpg
    PXL_20220412_001014127.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 14

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
P.S. - the plan is for a natural looking clump style tree, approximately 18 inches tall.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Congratulations on your kalmia latifolia. I’ve got an Olympic Fire. These are in the Rhododendron family and can be cut hard and push back like all its relatives. Take your general horticultural clues from these plants. Acid soil is best etc..

A good time to repot is when the cold temperatures break, or anytime as long as you can protect from freezing temperature. Spring is the key time to prune. Cut flowers off after blooming.

Like azaleas they should do well in Kanuma, but your choice on that. Any well draining azalea media would work. Likely a root wash would be in order if ou make a radical change in media.

There aren’t many of these being bonsai’ed in my knowledge, so go easy. You are a groundbreaker!

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom