Kaneshin Bonsai Tools

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I ordered a set of 8" concave cutters from the Kaneshin company in Japan. For about $67, I got the cutters including 3 day shipping from JAPAN. The tool arrived this morning. It left the seller on Friday morning. I won't get a chance to try the tool for a bit yet, as it's too early in the season and my trees are tucked away and snowed in currently, but everything appears to be first class. Please see the attached photos. I apologize for the quality, but it is what it is lol.

I was able to get the tool shipped from Japan for a lower total price than buying from a domestic distributor and all reviews say this is one of the top brands. The salesman was super friendly and helpful, and sent me several emails PLUS the note in the package. Highly recommended.

http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Kaneshin.bonsai.tools

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I ordered a set of 8" concave cutters from the Kaneshin company in Japan. For about $67, I got the cutters including 3 day shipping from JAPAN.

BTW, at that awesome price & service...I hope everyone starting out get these tools instead of almost everything (other than Masakuni).

fore

Omono
Reaction score
What form of shipping did you use to get it in 3 dys?

Thanks

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used the EMS shipping. Cost for this item was around $12, which is still cheaper than normal shipping from anyone on the internet in the US. Proof to me that the shipping charges are inflated to covertly up the price of the items.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks tmpgh. I've ordered before but used sms and it took forever. I had no idea what the other options are and I'm strapped for time needing some new wire cutters.

(here's a crapper, I bought another manufacturer and it didn't cut >12g wire cleanly. I sent them back flat rate, but directly from my house so no tracking number, which I've done before w. no probs. Anyway, lost in mail so now I'm out having to buy another pr. But I know these Kaneshin cutters should cut cleanly. Yes, lesson learned lol)

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Glad I could be of some help. We need to make sure we patronize the businesses who do things right in our hobby. I know I'll be buying my tools from these folks from now on.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I highly, highly recommend this dealer. My experiences have been just like yours. Sales staff are incredibly helpful, and shipping rates are unbelievable. And you will never get hit with surprise customs fees.

I can't understand how Kaneshin can get me a decent sized box of tools and books from Japan to Canada in a few days for like 10 bucks, while Stone Lantern tries to charge me like $20 shipping from Vermont for a bloody book. A few of my bonsai buddies and I use Kaneshin for everything now.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Anyone use kaneshin wire cutters? I hate my cutters as they only pinch the wire and not cut so I am looking for a GREAT set. Who has experience with kaneshin?

rps

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
Anyone use kaneshin wire cutters? I hate my cutters as they only pinch the wire and not cut so I am looking for a GREAT set. Who has experience with kaneshin?

I have a pair of no.511 and no.20D, which have been in steady service for over two years --- about the same time I started using copper wire on my conifers. Both have done Yeoman's service. They are true work-horses AND a pleasure to hold.
http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/goods_en_jpy_29.html
http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/goods_en_jpy_198.html

While Makasuni can, by virtue of inventing/designing the concave cutter, lay claim to a longer pedigree as bonsai tool makers, the masters & crafts-people at Kaneshin were already well respected katana makers before turning to shears and branch cutters. Which is to say: they too KNOW from steel.

Add to that, impeccable customer service and an urgent desire to "make it right".
Class act, all the way.

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Guys, I totally agree. I ordered their 844 wire cutters, and when I got them, the handles weren't exactly meeting, so he offered to send me another pr. at no cost. But then he suggested: No.20C is better than No.844 about the quality.

So I got that 20C for an exchange. All my tools are >25 yrs old. My scissors and lg. wire cutters were dead, so I've made a bit of a splurge this yr getting these sm cutters, the larger cutter 511, scissor 29 and tweezer 62A and a grafting knife as I want to try this this yr. All are extremely well built, and like everyone said, great shipping prices and customer service!

So Jason, the 511 and the 20C are great!

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Super satisfied wih mine too. Glad I ordered direct from the maker as well.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought two pair of scissors and the same concave cutter...good stuff. As far as wire cutters go, I have found that the most expensive brand at Home Depot is half the cost of other tools. I'm perfectly happy with my non-bonsai wire cutters.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I bought two pair of scissors and the same concave cutter...good stuff. As far as wire cutters go, I have found that the most expensive brand at Home Depot is half the cost of other tools. I'm perfectly happy with my non-bonsai wire cutters.

At this point, I agree with you Vance. Except needing something to cut wire tight up against the trunk safely. Regular wire cutters just fine. And I've also started using regular pliers for potting up and wiring in the trees. Much easier to twist and torque, plus they make them in various sizes for small hands and women for example.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
At this point, I agree with you Vance. Except needing something to cut wire tight up against the trunk safely. Regular wire cutters just fine. And I've also started using regular pliers for potting up and wiring in the trees. Much easier to twist and torque, plus they make them in various sizes for small hands and women for example.

LOL, Chris - are you calling 14er a woman or a Vance???? I don't know which is worse!!!

BTW that was a JOKE in case you have no humerous bone.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL, Chris - are you calling 14er a woman or a Vance???? I don't know which is worse!!!

BTW that was a JOKE in case you have no humerous bone.

I've been called worse and I am in touch with my sensitive side!!

Top Bottom