Kaneshin Tool Steel Types?

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking at Kaneshin's website, they have different grades of steel. Most notably, blue steel, white steel, yellow steel, and SK steel. However, there are some items like 36A and 36B which are basically the same, but one is yellow steel with better craftsmanship (so I believe), and the other is blue steel. I'm leaning towards the blue steel because it has sharper edge retention, but Mr. Nishimura said the yellow steel one has better craftsmanship, but inferior steel. The price of them is basically the same.

Does anyone have experience and can tell a difference between the types of steel from Kaneshin? I'm interested to see if all the properties really make a difference or not, or if its ultimately the craftsmanship that matters.

Bonsaiguy_2012

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m not to sure which steel is better. I would suggest to buy both of them if you can afford them. I deal with Kaneshin quite a bit and like all their tools. I currently have a very large order in that was shipped over three months ago and still waiting. It’s never taken more than two to three weeks by boat or 3-4 days parcel post.

Top Bottom