Kaneshin vs. masakuni

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am looking at upgrading my tools in the next year. I've recently read some good reviews of Kaneshin tools and I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has dircetly compared them to masakuni tools. Any input or experience on fit, finish, how long the hold and edge, etc. would be appreciated. I'm not opposed to spending more to get a better tool, so I want to make sure I spend my money wisely.

Thanks,

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought this was some kind of death match.

ed

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Depending on who chimes in, it just may very well turn into a deathmatch.....

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
*Prepares to make popcorn and pour beer*

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Can only attest that Masakuni tools are better than anything else I have used

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have both brands of concave cutters, and honestly cannot differentiate; I have never needed to sharpen either, both still have aligned cutting surfaces, neither has chipped (not so with Roth).
I was given the Kaneshin and had the opportunity to buy NOS Masakuni (20 year old) at a very good price, in my opinion. Otherwise I would likely still be using the kaneshin unit.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have both brands of concave cutters, and honestly cannot differentiate; I have never needed to sharpen either, both still have aligned cutting surfaces, neither has chipped (not so with Roth).
I was given the Kaneshin and had the opportunity to buy NOS Masakuni (20 year old) at a very good price, in my opinion. Otherwise I would likely still be using the kaneshin unit.

Lordy -

Are these black or stainless? Just want to make sure I have as much info as possible.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have only black (carbon steel) tools. I decided early on that stainless, while perhaps more durable from an oxidation standpoint (and frequently more expensive), sacrificed their ability to hold an edge as compared to carbon steel. I'm no metallurgist, but that is my impression of the basic difference.

Last edited:

macdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmm... bonsai shears at dawn? It would probably give us an accurate view on which is sharper :D.

Assuming they have the same level of SKILL :)

Seriously though, I may buy a better set of cutters as my collection grows. I appreciate the feedback so far.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Assuming they have the same level of SKILL :)

It probably has more to do with talent.

Which reminds me, what is talent anyway? And while we're on the subject, let's also define art, identify the best soil mix EVER, conduct pseudo-scientific studies on organic and non-organic fertilizers and tell a bonsai master of your choice that they've been doing it wrong all along because someone had unverified awesome results in one growing season by doing bonsai 'differently'. Did I cover them all?

Hmm... maybe I've been reading bonsai forums for too long.

macdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It probably has more to do with talent.

Which reminds me, what is talent anyway? And while we're on the subject, let's also define art, identify the best soil mix EVER, conduct pseudo-scientific studies on organic and non-organic fertilizers and tell a bonsai master of your choice that they've been doing it wrong all along because someone had unverified awesome results in one growing season by doing bonsai 'differently'. Did I cover them all?

Hmm... maybe I've been reading bonsai forums for too long.

Exactly the point of my comment, only a little more subtle ;)

So, is there an online retailer in the states that sells these? After a short search, I only found a retailer on Ebay and one or two in Europe.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I honestly dont know, but I stumbled onto my Masakuni tool quite by accident. Search either tool name on ebay. You never know who might list one or the other or when. And going into a 3 to 4 month downtime, you have time to look. Then, you will gain a better feeling of what prices are good for various items.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Exactly the point of my comment, only a little more subtle ;)

So, is there an online retailer in the states that sells these? After a short search, I only found a retailer on Ebay and one or two in Europe.
I was planning on buying direct from them. Here's the link: http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/ Prices aren't bad (for a high end tool) even when you include shipping.

rps

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
I was planning on buying direct from them. Here's the link: http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/ Prices aren't bad (for a high end tool) even when you include shipping.
i've bought directly from the site a few times and can vouch for their impeccable service. no customs or duties (into canada) and the shipping was both fast and affordable. they threw in a humble bonus goody each time and a sweet hand-written note. there's even free gift wrapping for those so inclined.
http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/goods_en_jpy_521.html
oh, and the tools? i can't compare them to masakuni, but they are superb in their own right. razor sharp, balanced, durable and a pleasure to hold. i almost wish i needed some more tools, just to give them the additional business.

Top Bottom