Kanorin's Aronia melanocarpa - 5 year native tree challenge

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bad news: Our sewer line has a crack in it and a strip of my yard and landscaping needs to be dug up next week for sewer repairs.
Good news: I get a chance to "save" this black chokeberry bush and see if it will tolerate joining my tiny tree collection.

IMG-5071.jpg
IMG-5070.jpg

It's got a pretty decent base as I've had it in the landscape for 5-years. Probably about 3.5 inches across. I kept most of the soil intact and barely shoved it into this anderson flat with some mulch. Let's see what happens!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one had a few branches die on me, but seems to have stabilized. I think I brought it too quickly into full sun. I moved it to a spot nestled among some bushes with about 2 hours morning sun and shade the rest of the day and it's been doing better since then

em42

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This one had a few branches die on me, but seems to have stabilized. I think I brought it too quickly into full sun. I moved it to a spot nestled among some bushes with about 2 hours morning sun and shade the rest of the day and it's been doing better since then
How did you fare with this project in 2022?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's still chugging! I just left it alone this year to recover. Next year I'll think about cutting it back to start it's journey as a bonsai.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This contest is still on with 1 year, 9 months to go. Are you still in?
If so, please post an update on your tree.
Thanks!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one struggled last year, but still going. Gonna need some carving for sure…if it can get healthy again.
88C5FBFA-A8C3-42EB-B75F-D513655DC3C4.jpeg

Top Bottom