Kanorin's chunks of fired mud

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Question for the bonsai potters in the audience:

How do you achieve glazing on the outside of the pot whilst leaving the inside unglazed?
-For my first glazing experience, I dunked my entire pots in glaze and then it was taking forever to remove the glaze from inside the pot with a sponge...maybe it's easier to just paint on the glaze on the outside with a brush??

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Put the glaze where you want with a brush. You also might want to learn how to smooth the pots out with wet fingers or a wet sponge. Wire holes need to be larger.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

How do you achieve glazing on the outside of the pot whilst leaving the inside unglazed?
-For my first glazing experience, I dunked my entire pots in glaze and then it was taking forever to remove the glaze from inside the pot with a sponge...maybe it's easier to just paint on the glaze on the outside with a brush??
If you plug the holes from the inside, you can dunk the pot and the pressure created inside the pot will stop the glaze covering the inside...most of the time!

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In this video, Katsuichi Shibata of Shibakatsu-en uses masking tape and newspaper inside the pots. You can see it in the shot while the pots are drying on the shelf, at about 15:00

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wax resist?

* I'm not a potter, I just play one on TV.
Yes this would work. It would take a minute or two to paint on the wax, then you need to let it solidify for a few minutes. Probably still faster than my original method. And you could easily line up 5 pots: wax, wax, wax, wax, wax and by the end the first one is probably ready to glaze.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
do you then just fire it and the wax melts away? Or do you have to remove the wax before you fire it?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, I got a similar tip from the class instructor this week...it helps if the clay is allowed to dry for a few hours first, then make the holes. This week I let the slab dry for ~2 hours on a concrete board (helps suck the moisture out of the clay) before making the holes with those hole-punching tools. We shall see how that large rectangle does!

I've had a few successful bisque firings with some of the early smaller pieces (no major cracks). I'll grab some pictures next week as I'm glazing them hopefully.
You want to make the holes when the clay is leather hard. At the stage the hole will maintain its shape.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Use a fan brush and touch up with a damp rag or sponge.

Yes this would work. It would take a minute or two to paint on the wax, then you need to let it solidify for a few minutes. Probably still faster than my original method. And you could easily line up 5 pots: wax, wax, wax, wax, wax and by the end the first one is probably ready to glaze.
Be attentive using the wax. If you drop a drop on the pot....no glaze on the spot or if you get wax on your fingers you'll have finger marks all over the pot where the glaze won't adhere. You'll have to re-bisque the pot to get it off. You can also use a pencil to mark the line to where you want to stop when using a brush.

do you then just fire it and the wax melts away? Or do you have to remove the wax before you fire it?
The wax burns off in the kiln, same as using liquid latex.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some things I learned.
  • Some glaze combinations combine in unexpected ways. Next time will use some test pieces
  • Need to leave the inside of the pots unglazed next time. The glaze often clogged up my wire holes.
  • Much of the assembly…especially larger pieces, should be done on clay pieces that are leather hard.
  • On larger rectangles, I should probably slightly bow out the sides to account for the shrinkage that will occur during firings.
  • Making nice feet is not my forte. I’ll have to work on this skill.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Taking one more 6 week class this Jan and Feb, but missed out on 2 classes due to COVID.

In any case, I’m back at it. Hate it when this happens! Cracked while drying…maybe dried too fast? Probably would have also helped to have some kind of central foot (even if not the most glamorous thing).
C7FAC039-F911-4A67-A495-8641744BBA05.jpeg
49D09DD5-658D-4B53-95D7-29D1DC1B0FF0.jpeg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How quick did you dry it? I give my pots a couple of weeks, only up to about 8in in size.
It was just drying at ambient air overnight (but it is about 30% humidity, so maybe that dried it quite rapidly.

Top Bottom