KASHIMA MAPLE

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you keep this maple in shelter of some kind? The leaves are so perfect, green and healthy.. I was under the impression they are very delicate and any stronger winds or hot sun, pretty much instantly affects the leaves in some way but yours are completely flawless.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you keep this maple in shelter of some kind? The leaves are so perfect, green and healthy.. I was under the impression they are very delicate and any stronger winds or hot sun, pretty much instantly affects the leaves in some way but yours are completely flawless.

Conor this tree spends the entire growing season under an arbor where it receives partial direct sunlight. Japanese maple leaves are always a challenge to keep in good shape all the way until autumn arrives. Sometimes this happens no matter what. It is usually not an indication of health and does not affect the tree per se. This is one of the drawbacks with keeping these maples specially for those of us that are in more southern regions. Some cultivars such as arakawa are extremely resistant to sun and wind scorch.

So you get an idea, here is a pic of the top of the arbor where many of my maples reside in summer. I'd say trees probably get roughly 1:1 sun/shade ratio.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Conor this tree spends the entire growing season under an arbor where it receives partial direct sunlight. Japanese maple leaves are always a challenge to keep in good shape all the way until autumn arrives. Sometimes this happens no matter what. It is usually not an indication of health and does not affect the tree per se. This is one of the drawbacks with keeping these maples specially for those of us that are in more southern regions. Some cultivars such as arakawa are extremely resistant to sun and wind scorch.

So you get an idea, here is a pic of the top of the arbor where many of my maples reside in summer. I'd say trees probably get roughly 1:1 sun/shade ratio.

Lovely, thanks for the info. I think that's the main point that took a while to sink in with me. My elms and pyracantha leaves are almost bullet proof, always green, healthy looking. Suddenly I get a maple and it looks like it gets partial fire treatment, daily..! But as you said, it's just the leaves, hopefully not a health thing.

D

Deleted member 21616

what an incredible tree! I went back to the first page, and to the previous thread on this tree, but could not find any photos showing the trunk work. How did the trunk and branches get to this shape? Would you happen to have taken photos throughout this tree's youth? :)

Thank you
D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
what an incredible tree! I went back to the first page, and to the previous thread on this tree, but could not find any photos showing the trunk work. How did the trunk and branches get to this shape? Would you happen to have taken photos throughout this tree's youth? :)

Thank you
D

Derek, this tree was most likely originally imported from Japan. I bought it from Suthin back in 2006. I do not know how it was created, but likely it was just simply wired and given some curves when it was very young.

Top Bottom