KASHIMA MAPLE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach you must have the patience of job to not only wire these maples completely but also unwire and wire again. Do you wire a tree at this stage more than once per year?

Drew, yes usually one to two times a year. But as trees begin to mature, I need to wire less. I am huge believer of wire to achieve best results on deciduous species. However, I also think that as the tree's design begins to settle and mature, less wire should be used for a more natural feel.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So basic
Drew, yes usually one to two times a year. But as trees begin to mature, I need to wire less. I am huge believer of wire to achieve best results on deciduous species. However, I also think that as the tree's design begins to settle and mature, less wire should be used for a more natural feel.
For the most part it will be twice a year until the branch has set where you wanted it out to tertiary and beyond. Is there ever a point at which you just let the tree bud out pinching the centers and that is it? No wire. It seems to me that there would always be this area or that one that you would be trying to perfect so wire would be needed. I would think that if you have approached the situation where you dont need wire, if much at all, it would only last a couple seasons. Then the point comes where you would have to start making decisions about removing branches that have become too thick.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
On some maples I am wiring now minimally such as my Sharp's pygmy. Maples have a wonderful natural growth habit that's very pleasing. So that helps greatly. There are always areas that would benefit from some wiring. I think this is true for any bonsai of any age. Once a tree is truly mature and well balanced where the growth slows down, I think they can stay unwired for quite some time. And yes it then becomes a game of replacement. As some branches grow too long or thick, they must eventually be replaced with finer growth at which time wiring may be needed.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes! I have been looking for an aquamarine koyo pot for a least 3 years now for this tree. Saw several but none the right size or style. So the search continues. :rolleyes:
I feel your pain... This tree is looking so good. Low left branch is very pleasing to view with the low trunk.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I just saw some aquamarine koyo on facebook auction. They are ovals though. Might want to take a look.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Link was broken that I tried to send

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just saw some aquamarine koyo on facebook auction. They are ovals though. Might want to take a look.

Thank you Drew! I saw them but not the right size. I think this tree looks best on a rectangle though. I saw one right now on FB that's gorgeous but slightly too large and maybe a tad too shallow. It is tough! :oops:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't even know what to say anymore

Me either.

IMG_6122_zps1logrlni.jpg

So I will just ensure there is a photo on this page too!

That's my Fave shot!

Furthering the JudyB comment...

The base holds the tree so well...
And the movement up is wonderful.

I sure hope this is a M5 neverseller!

Your improved branching is going to be outstanding!

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks sorce! Well I suppose I can never say never, but no plans in selling this one anytime soon. Still a lot of work that it needs but slowly getting there. I consider this tree part of the core of my collection.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Me either.

View attachment 141654

So I will just ensure there is a photo on this page too!

That's my Fave shot!

Furthering the JudyB comment...

The base holds the tree so well...
And the movement up is wonderful.

I sure hope this is a M5 neverseller!

Your improved branching is going to be outstanding!

Sorce

Yes, it's odd, because of course it's a gorgeous tree, but what's odd is that the base is almost ky favourite part! Which I never thought I'd say. It's absolutely perfect for the trees movement and size, it makes it. If the base was messed up in any way, I feel like the balance would be off entirely.
Lovely pot too Mach, dunno if it's your final but to my inexperienced eye, it looks great. Soothing colour and size, leading to great colour matched bark.

D

Deleted member 21616

Thank you for sharing!

Can I please ask how tall this tree it, and how far from the ground the first branch is?

Thank you!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing!

Can I please ask how tall this tree it, and how far from the ground the first branch is?

Thank you!

Derek, the tree is 18" high and lowest branch about 4" from soil level.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Better watch out, bonsaikitty may come over and tie you up with raffia!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom