Kashima time!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome, when you decide to repot then put that puppy in a blue glazed pot.....they look awesome with a blue pot because of the red fringes ...trust me! Great score from your friend.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Google and Kashima (as a plant of any kind) could not get together. Kashima was a WWII battleship, a sports team, a now-absorbed town, and a few other things -- none of them living that I could find.
When I helped google by asking for kashima bonsai, the drop down google offering list was long. Kashima maple bonsai, kashima japanese maple bonsai, acer kashima bonsai, acer palmatum kashima bonsai, and last, bonsainut.com/threads/kashima-time.../.

Just saying, sometimes it helps to get google in the ballpark near what you are searching for.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg Figured i'd post an update from a quick bare pic I grabbed this weekend. Tree was defoliated this summer and lightly pruned. Tree got a lot of sun which I think I will be reducing next summer. Leaves never really seemed too bothered by it though. Fall color wasn't super, just a very deep red. Already looking forward to the spring work.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One has to go back to the beginning to see how well you did by this tree. Congratulations :)

While I appreciate this, Mach5 is the reason it looks the way it does. I took care of simple stuff like feed, repot and chop the hell out of it initially but he has brought out it's beauty and laid the solid foundation for the future.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mach5 is a wizard. His trees have a very distinctive style... it's very recognisable that this styling was done by him even on a tree he didn't grow! I keep studying it but I think it's quite challenging to replicate.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So this spring it was in need of a repot. Decided to get finally get it into the pot I bought for it a month after I acquired the tree that's been sitting on a shelf for the last few years. Had to remove a lot of roots but in it went! I did an initial wiring before the repot. @MACH5 sure is a tough act to follow!

Fortunately I was able to connect with him at MABS this past weekend and he gave me some more direction and my tree some extra wire and adjustments. Each season I love this tree more and more. Thanks again Sergio!

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great catching up with you as well Brian! I had fun seeing you and a few other BNuts there. Your tree, as most deciduous projects go, needs a lot more time to develop but I think it will be very nice once it's well ramified. I think you're doing a great job with it! Let it grow and no pinching. Once it all lignifies around June, you can cut back to one or two nodes. In some other areas, you will need to cut back even harder but let it do its thing for now.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sadly, no decent fall foliage this year. In spring this tree leafed out and got a bad fungal infection(leaf curl i believe). I treated but growth never extended all season and instead just stalled. so all growth just looked like clumps of curled leaves. Almost all leaves have dropped now and I will have to dormant spray with something(unsure yet whether to use copper, daconil, bayer or lime sulphur). A few of my other japanese maples suffered from this as well this year due to the wet spring. It was a disappointing season for this tree and I'm still bothered by it.

I'm unsure what I will do next season. I will definitely repot to get a look at the roots as last seasons repot was aggressive. I'll have to decide whether to move it back to a box/larger pot to restore vigor, or place back in the pot it's in and be even more diligent in spring. I'm hoping next year this tree returns to it's normal happy vigorous self.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bri I am sorry to hear about your tree. I think it will be fine eventually. Obviously no further work should be done to it until its health is restored. Yes, it may be a good idea to put it back in a wooden box and let it be. On the repotting cut back anything that looks dead but otherwise I would not cut back much if at all.

I have used copper on my maples with no problems. I also used bayer from time to time. You might want to spray it now with lime sulphur as a winter treatment and make sure you keep it damp and not too wet specially as spring grows closer. I think it will bounce back next spring :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Sergio. I've been pretty distraught about it this season. I'm very disappointed this happened under my care after you set it on the right path.

I;ve been using granular bayer on all my trees. I'm guessing the mistake was not spraying the leaves. By the time i started spraying it with liquid bayer it was too late. The only trees affected this year by fungus were J. maples. They all leafed out but leaves curled and were much smaller than usual. After i saw the symptoms i realized there was leaf curl on some of the oaks on my property as well. I'll spray everything with lime sulphur soon, repot in spring and hope for the best.

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Sadly, no decent fall foliage this year. In spring this tree leafed out and got a bad fungal infection(leaf curl i believe). I treated but growth never extended all season and instead just stalled. so all growth just looked like clumps of curled leaves. Almost all leaves have dropped now and I will have to dormant spray with something(unsure yet whether to use copper, daconil, bayer or lime sulphur). A few of my other japanese maples suffered from this as well this year due to the wet spring. It was a disappointing season for this tree and I'm still bothered by it.

I'm unsure what I will do next season. I will definitely repot to get a look at the roots as last seasons repot was aggressive. I'll have to decide whether to move it back to a box/larger pot to restore vigor, or place back in the pot it's in and be even more diligent in spring. I'm hoping next year this tree returns to it's normal happy vigorous self.

I also had a few maple that had fungal infections this year:mad: and horrible fall color on every tree. I'm going to move them to a better spot in the garden next year lol.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I had spider mites in the summer and mild powdery mildew in the fall. Colors were darker and not as bright as last year but that could be due to various factors in my case (defoliation, more sun, etc) and leaves started falling before giving me a full colored canopy :-(

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also had a few maple that had fungal infections this year:mad: and horrible fall color on every tree. I'm going to move them to a better spot in the garden next year lol.

Every season in bonsai is a new lesson and there is always learning to do. By being forced to deal with mishaps it makes us better at caring for our trees. It just flat out takes guidance, time and experience dealing with issues to really grasp it all and even then problems will arise, but we are better equipped to battle.

Protectively treating trees is the only way that works in my garden to keep fungus/bugs away. next year will be granular/spray combo for sure except on flowering trees.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another disappointing year for this one. I was very active with spraying this year to try and beat the fungal issues I had last year. I repotted back to the same pot. The tree Leafed out and just never extended, completely stalled. This was the same issue I had last year except that all the leaves shriveled and curled. the leaves this year seem intact. I am baffled as to why it happened.

Next spring it will go back to a larger box to regain vigor.
931FB640-CA51-4EDD-8B92-4F23773AB9DB.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another disappointing year for this one. I was very active with spraying this year to try and beat the fungal issues I had last year. I repotted back to the same pot. The tree Leafed out and just never extended, completely stalled. This was the same issue I had last year except that all the leaves shriveled and curled. the leaves this year seem intact. I am baffled as to why it happened.

Next spring it will go back to a larger box to regain vigor.
View attachment 209990

In the nursery biz, they use the term “sleep, creep, then leap”. This describes how a new tree might take awhile to get going in your yard after it’s planted. I wonder if similar advice might work here? Instead of repot, maybe keep it as is, and see if next year brings more vigor. Then maybe the year after it explodes?

Just a thought, I appreciate your post and I like the tree. Good luck!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Back to a box for this one for to regain vigor. Two seasons of poor growth in the pot are enough for me to take a step back. Hope to see some extension this year.

Attachments

• C3BF6522-4C37-4E61-B8A3-2D7A72B75B83.jpeg
    C3BF6522-4C37-4E61-B8A3-2D7A72B75B83.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DEBE5011-629F-4A5D-8864-3267B5E8091C.jpeg
    DEBE5011-629F-4A5D-8864-3267B5E8091C.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom