Kathy Shaner Interview

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone, Happy New Year!

I didn't see this posted anywhere (if it was already, sorry for the duplication) so I wanted to drop a link to a recent interview of Kathy Shaner. It's on Ryan Neil's "Asymmetry Podcast" series. They talked a lot about the "early days", what led up to her apprenticing in Japan, what that experience was like for her, etc. Very interesting. I know there was a recent thread where it was mentioned that she was the first American to apprentice in Japan so this seems particularly timely. IMO, Ryan's podcasts over the past few months have been kind of hit and miss but this was a good one.

I'll add on a personal note, Kathy was the second bonsai professional (after Bill) that I ever met. Met her at the MABS in Harrisburg in 2011 I believe. We talked a little about bonsai (I didn't know much at the time) and our shared experience of growing up on Long Island. Amazingly, she invited me to meet her down on Long Island to "help" when she went there to work on some client trees. The timing for that never worked out but I was amazed that she made the offer to a newcomer like myself. Later on I had the opportunity to help her set up/arrange the National Show in 2014 or 2016? Whichever year was really hot, I can't recall. Anyway, I've always enjoyed her presentations as well as talking with her, her knowledge base is enormous and she is so willing to share.

Kathy Shaner on Asymmetry Podcast

(just scroll down till you find the podcast, right now it's the top one)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cosigned!! I listened to this one as well and couldn't agree more. Was a very good podcast once it got going and Kathy got warmed up!! I really enjoyed hearing about her experiences in the early days and what led up to her apprenticeship in Japan. Also hearing her speak about her admiration and friendship with some of America's early Japanese "Masters."

I'd most definitely recemmend giving this one a listen as well and do agree, its some of the better Asymmetry content that Ryan has put out recently. Also really enjoyed Ryan's interview with Ted Matson of the Huntington.

Top Bottom