Katsura forest

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Here is an acer palmatum "katsura" forest I assembled this spring. This is my first attempt at assembling a forest. I selected an unglazed container, figuring I would let the foliage get all the attention. Might reevaluate that choice when it's time to repot.

Your feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200415_142734.jpg
    IMG_20200415_142734.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 260

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
katsura forest?....take a seven-year old in a swap? 95% his pee goes in the bowl!! No?

...…......………….those two spots with wire on the trunk?.....maybe those ultimately get removed in favor of the finer growth adjacent?

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really really nice arrangement. Can't wait to see it leafed out. It's great to see people doing their first forests, as I just did my first this spring.

Reactions: Meh

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
katsura forest?....take a seven-year old in a swap? 95% his pee goes in the bowl!! No?

...…......………….those two spots with wire on the trunk?.....maybe those ultimately get removed in favor of the finer growth adjacent?
Lol.

Thanks for the advice. I figure I will cut those heavier parts back somewhat, eventually. Just not sure how far yet.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Well, this was a disappointment. The main tree and two others had what I think was verticulum wilt. They leafed out fine in spring, but then the bark at the base started turning black, crept up the tree, and as it crept up branches died more or less instantaneously. The trees were dead by summer. The remaining trees grew great, and I left them untouched until fall when I cut them back. I wasn't interested in buying more of these as they're not cheap, and the existing composition no longer worked without them, so this spring I redid the forest. Here is the result.

PXL_20210312_193906116.jpg

Hopefully I'll have better luck this year!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They must have been within trearshot of too much news.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What'd I miss?

JK.
If you think you can catch what Sorce says in the first reading you have missed the point of it.
Sorry for your struggle with your planting, but realize you have a knack for it. Your tree placement is excellent.
Carry on.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
If you think you can catch what Sorce says in the first reading you have missed the point of it.
Sorry for your struggle with your planting, but realize you have a knack for it. Your tree placement is excellent.
Carry on.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I like your start...curious what it will look like after some Triming...?
Looks like Ying Rock in front, I would lower that big guy down into the pot, its taking over the Visual Perception of the Overall...
Amazing amount of new Leaf growth on those Maples, I would trim down about 6" of that tallest Maple to Create some Balance for the Overall....
Congrats on your excellent New Forest and it looks like there is some room for a few new Smaller Maples in between the larger guys....
All in All, Very Nice.....
Bolero

Top Bottom