Keep double trunk or cut one?

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m not even sure if this dwarf crepe myrtle is going to make it! BUT if it does, would you eventually get rid of one of these trunks? I feel the left one has too little movement following all the way to the left, and the middle branch on the left feels like too uniform of an s curve. But I’m also not sure I like the right side by itself even tho it has better taper. I suppose much depends on if and where it decides to bud.

it’s technically a Lagerstroemia 'PIILAG-I’ or diamond dazzle crepe myrtle

Attachments

• 94696653-9237-48F6-80DF-AFDABCDCD9E9.jpeg
    94696653-9237-48F6-80DF-AFDABCDCD9E9.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 100

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I would definitely eliminate the left side, as you say it lacks movement and it is also very heavy.

I'm no expert by any means but the right side seems to have more potential overall, however is also pushing out very straight, vertically. Would be nice to get rid of that stub pushing sideways and shorten the vertical section.

Nice nebari! Looks like a fun project and will be cool once it starts popping some shoots!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not wire and bend? Clip and grow is not mandatory. Tree is young and small change will happen in time to reduce current concerns to minuscule insignificance.
Currently this plant seems 2 dimensional with more branching needed much more than any removal.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
With the “double“ trunk starting that far from the nebari you really don’t have the option of a classic twin trunk design. Removing one of them becomes even more appealing when you consider both are pretty similar in size and heading in opposing directions.
After saying all that, I’ll cut to the chase...
what @leatherback said...
Why?
That line accentuates movement, increases taper and provides a solid base to build from going forward... and apart from all that, turtles are always right. 😉

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know about turtles??? You have to stick your neck out to make any progress.
a little. See the link just above.

Problem with sticking out a neck, you get awfully close to the chopping board.
Ask any trident maple in the hands of a bonsai grower.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
a little. See the link just above.

Problem with sticking out a neck, you get awfully close to the chopping board.
Ask any trident maple in the hands of a bonsai grower.
Yes 😂

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just here to say that isn't two trunks, it's just an offshoot of the main trunk. If it were emerging from the base of the tree, then it would be two trunks.

I forget who yelled at me for making that mistake years ago, either rockm or jkl...

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just an update from october to june! I was really worried i killed this thing with the massive reduction i did in February. JUST started to bud out a few weeks ago. Will probably perform recommended cuts on this thread next winter. Now i need some moss that grows better in full carolina sun!

Attachments

• 54B503F9-223E-48E6-AE32-F3492FD12D21.jpeg
    54B503F9-223E-48E6-AE32-F3492FD12D21.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 27
  • AA783FB8-8750-4A6A-BB2E-D4EFDFFC89A4.jpeg
    AA783FB8-8750-4A6A-BB2E-D4EFDFFC89A4.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom