Keep letting it grow?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@GrimLore - well the comment was more to the specifics in the original post. Serissa blooms are small and I know of no instance where growers of Serissa have had trouble with them "flowering to death", nor do I recall Serissa producing fruit in any quantity. Most people have only one clone of Serissa, and never see fruit, if they do go to seed, it is a small seed, not a big metabolic cost. The OP is new, I thought it unfair for some to suggest removing flowers where there is no documented need to do so.

@Cypress187 - Speaking generally it is true that sometimes it is necessary to forego flowers and fruit in favor of development, especially fruit. I would not let a standard culinary apple shohin produce fruit more than once in a decade. But most trees only flower when in good health. The "last gasp" flowering is more a bonsai myth than reality. It is true that occasionally a pomegranate will drop the branch that fruit developed on after the fruit has become ripe. But there are all species specific details and should not be generalized from. Your quote about removing flowers is either out of a tree specific context or just another internet bonsai myth. Leave the poor beginners alone, don't load crap information on them.

angesradieux

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! Lots of responses! Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll leave it be for a bit? From what I can tell, the flowers don't seem to be inhibiting growth, I'm seeing new shoots and lots of leaves. The flowers have been falling off every few days, without much more than two or three in bloom at a time. Is that normal?

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We live in similar climates not far away - I strongly suggest you prune it now and let it grow out the remainder of the outdoor season here.

About when do you bring your Serissa in for the winter in SE PA? When do you take it back out for the summer?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
About when do you bring your Serissa in for the winter in SE PA? When do you take it back out for the summer?

I will let it see 3-4 nights of low 30's before bringing it in. They seem to need to get that so they drop leaf and go dormant if even for a short time before Wintering indoors. Many I did not do that with grew like crazy and died when brought in to early. I know they grow good outdoors all year in the South but even there they experience a taste of the cold albeit a short time.

In the Spring all of the plants get moved from the indoor room when temperatures at night are steadily 45-50ish F. They remain out there for less time then the Serissa, coming in at 45F for the Winter.

They all get 16 hours of light each day indoors and the humidity never goes lower then 50 percent for more then a few hours. Also the room has a ceiling fan running in reverse 24 hours a day keeping the air circulating. Less water and rarely(some never) fertilized. I don't bring them in to "grow" them as that usually just ends up a leggy mass of plants for me so I just do what is needed to keep them alive and healthy.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the detailed response. I live somewhat close to you. Do you have a good source for Serissa that you would not mind disclosing?

The one I pictured I purchased from another member here and I am not certain if he has more at this point. I will be talking to him Friday and PM you with his information as I don't know what is available now or will be in Spring. I will definitely PM you!

Grimmy

Top Bottom