keep misting juniper?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Reading this thead, I think it is important for people to step back for a moment and think about the horticulture.

Foliage generates energy via photosynthesis.
Roots provide water and nutrients.
Transpiration of water through the foliage draws water up from the roots.

When you have a collected juniper, the greatest challenge is that the roots will be compromised. Compromised roots = limited water and nutrients. One possible method to balance this is to reduce foliage so that foliage mass = compromised root mass. If you do this however, you may end up with a tree that survives, but survives in a very weakened state. So best practice for collected junipers is that even though your roots are compromised, you want to keep as much foliage as possible, since foliage = energy = strength. HOWEVER, you have to deal with the inability of the roots to provide enough water. The solution is to slow transpiration.

There are two methods to do this. Neither is exclusive of the other. You can (1) mist foliage and/or (2) raise ambient humidity. I know some people who tent their collected junipers (raise ambient humidity). I know others who swear by misting. In some cases they will do both - like in a greenhouse environment where you can raise humidity, protect from wind, and mist. It is important to understand not only what you are doing... but why you are doing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom