Keep or sell? American larch

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been going back and forth with this larch and it’s time to ask some strangers what i should do. The tree is 21” tall and the trunk is 1.25” wide. It has great root flare but only three thick roots. So nebari score is just okay/usable. I live in zone 6b and it pushes growth 4x a year so I can radically change the design pretty quickly. I was aiming for narrow alpine style but am wondering if I should grow the top another 5” and eliminate the lowest few branches for an angular literati style. Also if you love this tree, feel free to make an offer. Thanks for any input.

Probably should’ve posted this in January when the branches were visible.

Attachments

• E19221B9-FBBB-43C7-8B0D-95A86658C39D.jpeg
    E19221B9-FBBB-43C7-8B0D-95A86658C39D.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 123
  • F145DAE1-B086-493B-A08E-BDA00EEB636C.jpeg
    F145DAE1-B086-493B-A08E-BDA00EEB636C.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 125
  • E445DFB3-BF13-4383-855D-B168240B371A.jpeg
    E445DFB3-BF13-4383-855D-B168240B371A.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 109
  • 407D05F6-F32C-43D4-9D02-F63F7673EC38.jpeg
    407D05F6-F32C-43D4-9D02-F63F7673EC38.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DB4FF670-3AC0-473E-B312-7E68CA147305.jpeg
    DB4FF670-3AC0-473E-B312-7E68CA147305.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 158

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it.

I wouldn't mind running across you with this and trading a pot or 3 for it.

But truth truth....

I'd like more to see you continue with this. It seems to be what earth wants.

Sorce

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks both. I'm realizing now the photos hide a lot of what going on in the top of the tree. The part I'm happy with.. . Maybe i'll let the apex grow this season and come back with some better photos in fall or winter. Guess I'll look around for some inspiration in the meantime.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
When evaluating whether or not I want to a tree, I try to determine if my collection is better with it or without it. It’s all relative. Rank your trees best to worst (not counting stuff in development), and always be ready to cull the bottom 10-20%. Eventually your worst tree won’t be too bad.

Here is my bottom tree right now, without hesitation, and I’d be happy to let it fly If I could recover what I paid. My only hesitation is the hassle of packing/shipping a semi cascade.
666FD0DB-D6C6-4B80-9928-41DBEF04AC05.jpeg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Brian, only prebonsai on my benches, I'll take "stuff in development" to mean cuttings and sticks planted in the ground. I try to do roughly what you've mentioned, and really to be fair, now that you've made me think about it again, I have been hanging onto this tree because I haven't found a better deciduous conifer to take its place. I'd add "in my price range" but at this point I'm fairly willing to spend real money.
I have a very small collection and my bench isn't big enough right now, I probably have worse trees that I just like more, or at least see more future potential in

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
probably have worse trees that I just like more, or at least see more future potential in

Your personal drive to style a tree is a giant sub part of that relativity.

I like how you say, "in my price range", but basically go on to describe your bonsai hobby self as cheap AF!
Meh. Me too! I think we all are to a degree!

That is exactly why "stack ranking" is so important to me.

I see the "next up" tree you see. But I am totally appreciating those low branches too.

It's selfish as hell, that I want you to continue with this tree, because I think only you will take it to it's full potential.

Sorce

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@sorce we'll meet back here in the autumn. Also, I used to be really cheap but in a generous sprinkles kind of way. Now I'm desert dry 99% of the time, but if I spend I make it count (in my relative terms).

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been going back and forth with this larch and it’s time to ask some strangers what i should do. The tree is 21” tall and the trunk is 1.25” wide. It has great root flare but only three thick roots. So nebari score is just okay/usable. I live in zone 6b and it pushes growth 4x a year so I can radically change the design pretty quickly. I was aiming for narrow alpine style but am wondering if I should grow the top another 5” and eliminate the lowest few branches for an angular literati style. Also if you love this tree, feel free to make an offer. Thanks for any input.

Probably should’ve posted this in January when the branches were visible.
I like the base up to the first whorl best. After that not as much! Could you do something with it? Of course!
Not sure it will ever be that favourite though. I must admit Larch are not my favourite so that probably plays into my point of view.
Sell it!
The fact that you ask the question?
Well for me anyhow, I prefer to work on trees that I am excited to have! Sometimes its more about the character of the tree than the obvious potential.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@River's Edge was eyeing up a literati rmj at the nursery today, also a Douglas fir literati caught my eye. Definitely have consistent taste. My favorite part about larch is that golden fall color though

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@River's Edge was eyeing up a literati rmj at the nursery today, also a Douglas fir literati caught my eye. Definitely have consistent taste. My favorite part about larch is that golden fall color though
For sure! I have seen some incredible larch in the wild! Spent most of one fall in the maritimes travelling and many of the campgrounds had native larch in the landscape.
One thing that takes some time is the regular spring pinching routine for larch as they develop quickly and repeatedly. I currently just have one larch on the bench. It was given to me last year.

SpOoNzL

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like this tree. I could see this tree going somewhere like the picture I have added.

Attachments

• b13fb3ea41be5b5a244d176eb2a5ca1b.jpg
    b13fb3ea41be5b5a244d176eb2a5ca1b.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 55

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@SpOoNzL thats roughly where i'm headed I think. I wired out the ugly bend on the first branch and planning to add a few inches of height. Also clipped off some garbage on top. I do prefer a bunjin tree with a thicker trunk than the one you pictured, just personal taste so im trying not to get too tall. hoping to mix masculine with feminine. thicker flakey trunk with angular branching to round out a typically feminine style. unfortunately i have been working this tree really hard for the last two years so I have to be a little tender this season, especially knowing it over due for a repot in spring 2021

Top Bottom