Keep or Toss?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yeah, what the others said ... you'd be crazy to toss this with a base like that and such a clear path to the next phase of trunk development.

Mellow Mullet had it spot on with those drawings.

And I love the double humble brag.

Usually, I'd say "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools", but in this case, it's the humble, masterful one who somehow manages to apologize for being able to use inferior tools to create textbook-quality diagrams. =)

Thanks, I really wasn't trying to brag, I did not add as much detail as I wanted to. Like these:

IMG_20171015_221214_edit.jpg

IMG_20171015_221038_edit.jpg

They look a little better in person, the florescent lighting in the lab was reflecting off the graphite.

Last edited:

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is a photo today before I trim any further to fit it into my winter area. Forgot and already cut off two branches about 2.5 to 3 feet. It recovered quite well from being dug and chopped.20171015_143409.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was out looking around today and ended up looking at this tree some more. I am thinking on whether I should do that first chop and try to get s good heal on it or what it might look like with a hollow there. I am concerned on one hand if the chop will heal convincingly or if a hollow could be created that woild look natural. Your thoughts?

I am anxious for it to be time to get going on this tree after Mellow's great ideas.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Elms, at least here in the Midwest are vigorous. I would assume you could get it to completely heal over large scars in less than a decade. I would start sooner rather than later.

Creating a hollow is an easy fall back if the complete healing over does not progress as well as you would like. If you create a hollow right away, and don't like it, it might be difficult to change course.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes I think you are right. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for the thought.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
the chop makes sense to me. your material is already heading in that direction with a great new leader... and the plan has been laid out masterfully in previous posts. for material you're not too enthused about would be a great learning experience.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As I am sitting here anxiously awaiting the proper time to chop this tree I was wondering if I just a cut on one level or if I try to make like three cuts contouring the cut to what I think that the new trunk should look like (sort of rounded). I have not done a trunk chop of this sort before so input is appreciated.

Jamie

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks, I really wasn't trying to brag, I did not add as much detail as I wanted to. Like these:

View attachment 164087

View attachment 164088

They look a little better in person, the florescent lighting in the lab was reflecting off the graphite.

Ok that is just crazy. You need to get yourself a camera so you don't have to sketch the pests you find in your trees. I understand a photo wont show as much detail but your making us look bad!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
As I am sitting here anxiously awaiting the proper time to chop this tree I was wondering if I just a cut on one level or if I try to make like three cuts contouring the cut to what I think that the new trunk should look like (sort of rounded). I have not done a trunk chop of this sort before so input is appreciated.

Jamie

Jamie, it is OK to contour the trunk, some, to get a decent heal. Just be careful to not make it, the wound, too much bigger that it needs to be and make sure that it is smooth so the new tissue can easily cover it. Elms are a good tree to learn how to do a chop, the heal quickly. You will probably get some budding around the cut area too. If one is in a good spot for a branch in the final design, keep it, rub the rest off so they won't create reverse taper. Don't ask me how I know this, lol.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am thinking that it is about time to move on this. Temps are cold at night (30+/-) but our days are now reaching 50. Thank you for the input.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thought that I had this chop all figured out and now I am fussing about it. Am I correct in thinking a straight, flat cut as show by the red line?

Hate to loose any more aged bark on the right than necessary.

Input is appreciated.

Jamie

20180312_071312 Chopped Marked.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I thought that I had this chop all figured out and now I am fussing about it. Am I correct in thinking a straight, flat cut as show by the red line?

Hate to loose any more aged bark on the right than necessary.

Input is appreciated.

Jamie

View attachment 181609

Jamie, I would not make such a long cut, the angle looks to be close to 6o degrees or better. I would go closer to 45 degrees, I would redraw the line for you but I am work and have no photo editing software.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Jamie, I would not make such a long cut, the angle looks to be close to 6o degrees or better. I would go closer to 45 degrees, I would redraw the line for you but I am work and have no photo editing software.

Something more like where the yellow line is?

I was trying to make it blend in better by following the new trunk line or will the tree help do this over time?

Thanks and have a good evening.

Jamie
20180312_071312 Chopped Marked #2.jpg

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Something more like where the yellow line is?

I was trying to make it blend in better by following the new trunk line or will the tree help do this over time?

Thanks and have a good evening.

Jamie
View attachment 181612

Yes, that is better. As you let the new leader grow a little more and it starts healing the top of the wound, it will blend. The yellow line also reduces the wound by 25 - 30%, so it will close sooner.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
After mowing the yard the other day I got on this. First picture is straight out of its winter bed. And the second is after the cut.20180317_190017.jpg20180317_193950.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is the root system. It does have a large heel on it. Not wanting to over do it I just trimmed off some of the longer root growth. The will be a lot more root work to later. Third photo shows cut all sealed up. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks for the help. Jamie​
20180317_192637.jpg20180317_193039.jpg20180317_194851.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yeah, but just wait, that is one of many that will eventually pop out, you will have many more to choose from. Old timer pocket knives, now that brings back memories.

Top Bottom