keeping a deciduous tree shohin size

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How do you keep your shohin deciduous trees shohin size?

It's my understanding that you can't just keep continually pinching off any new growth. So what do you do?

Some years do you let it grow out and then do a harsh cut back and regrow the tertiary branches? Does that lend itself to some coarse growth?

Or is it inevitable that they eventually grow out of the shohin size?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How do you keep your shohin deciduous trees shohin size?

It's my understanding that you can't just keep continually pinching off any new growth. So what do you do?

Some years do you let it grow out and then do a harsh cut back and regrow the tertiary branches? Does that lend itself to some coarse growth?

Or is it inevitable that they eventually grow out of the shohin size?
Yes to almost all the above.
Each year the tree will grow slightly bigger as shoots extend. Good management and proper pinching and pruning should keep extension to a minimum. There should be no need to allow trees to grow out 'some years' but there will be times every year when the tree looks quite overgrown.
Each year the areas that have grown too long are removed and replaced with shorter twigs growing from back along the branches/trunk in order to maintain the size/ outline. Usually done in winter when you can see the structure. This means there will be an annual expansion and refduction in the trees.
If coarse growth results from pruning it should be removed. If the tree has been well maintained it will be strong enough to start again, hopefully 2nd shoots will be smaller but if those are also too strong I would argue the tree probably has enough energy to repeat.
All trees thicken, even if it is very gradual so eventually the trunk will simply be too thick to look good as a shohin sized tree and restyle to a larger size will become necessary. Probably won't affect many of us, esp with deciduous trees but some species do continue to thicken quite rapidly even in small pots. I have ficus that require upsizing every 5-7 years.

All the above applies to all bonsai regardless of size. It is just far more noticeable with the smaller bonsai.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes to almost all the above.
Each year the tree will grow slightly bigger as shoots extend. Good management and proper pinching and pruning should keep extension to a minimum. There should be no need to allow trees to grow out 'some years' but there will be times every year when the tree looks quite overgrown.
Each year the areas that have grown too long are removed and replaced with shorter twigs growing from back along the branches/trunk in order to maintain the size/ outline. Usually done in winter when you can see the structure. This means there will be an annual expansion and refduction in the trees.
If coarse growth results from pruning it should be removed. If the tree has been well maintained it will be strong enough to start again, hopefully 2nd shoots will be smaller but if those are also too strong I would argue the tree probably has enough energy to repeat.
All trees thicken, even if it is very gradual so eventually the trunk will simply be too thick to look good as a shohin sized tree and restyle to a larger size will become necessary. Probably won't affect many of us, esp with deciduous trees but some species do continue to thicken quite rapidly even in small pots. I have ficus that require upsizing every 5-7 years.

All the above applies to all bonsai regardless of size. It is just far more noticeable with the smaller bonsai.
SUPER. Thanks very much!

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I think you're confusing comedy with satire. Being new I was interested in Gary's question.

No, maybe confusing comedy with sarcasm but not satire. What happen to humor in America. Everyone is quick on the chicken switch.

What does my addition have to do with you being interested in Gary's question?

Being new you should build some shohin and LEARN for yourself what it takes. I am not being sarcastic nor sataristic here. About 98 percent of every question asked here could be solved in ones backyard in very short time.

Pruning trees at the right time and doing it correctly can keep a maple at least, in a pot for decades. They grow sure but very slow in a cup of soil. I have had some of these trees in pots for over ten years.

DSC_00072.JPG

Takes this hornbeam for instance. This is how it looked in a pot in 2002

006.JPG

The pot has changed but the tree is now like this 16 years later. The trunk is the same size but the apex is taller and now it is ready to be reduced. Not much but a little.

DSC_0019.JPG

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Look at the size of that big ass root in front!!!! Gee, It sure has grown a lot.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Round up.
Actually this works on some azaleas when applied as a dilute root drench.

However, there is less guess work if one plants bind weed or some other plant from the morning glory family in the pot and sticks the morning glory stems in a little container of RoundUp.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bananaman is correct. The same techniques used to create shohin can be used to keep the trees shohin. Keeping a tree shohin for 10 years is very do-able. Depending on species, and one's skills, some trees could be kept shohin for 30 or more years. There is no fixed timeline.

Eventually some trees may grow out of shohin size. Bonsai is a living art, some things just happen.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Deciduous trees can be cut back very hard and completely regrown. That’s a radical solution, of course, but bonsai care (maintenance) should always be striving to develop those “inside” branches that will be able to take over when the old primary branches grow to be too long and/or thick. Always be developing something to cut back to.

Top Bottom