Keeping Evergreens on Porch in the Winter?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day,

Is it alright to keep my Bonsai on the porch during the winter season? The average winter temperature is around -6C.

Left to right, Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus Virginiana), Dwarf Mugo Pine and Juniper Nana

IMG_20211118_153016.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Without wind protection with those temperatures the pots will freeze, you are risking the health of the trees.

I have had procumbens nana freeze (below 30) out on the deck over the winter and they died.
I dont believe the eastern red cedar would be any better off.
The mugo might be ok because they are pretty cold hardy but Id still consider it a risk for a tree in a pot.
A tree in a pot is not as hardy as if it were in the ground

Last edited:

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Juniperus virginiana is supposed to be a zone 2 plant but I'd still rather not leave them up there. Is there a reason you can't just put them on the ground/bury them right in front of the porch?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
USDA hardiness zones are more equipped to adress top kill temperatures (tissue damage , desiccation etc). Root kill temperatures are less robust, better place on ground since there is potential for geothermal heat to give up to 7F for the roots. It’s also advisable to heal with mulch around the pot up to rim for reduction in heat transfer, and moisture loss in the container. I’d place on ground and heal in once night temperatures reach 25F or below range consistently. Also near a structure to reduce wind and moisture moss that way.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Even down here in zone 7 I put my trees in a windbreak and cover the pot/soil with a layer of dry leaves. No wonter kill or branch dessication so far.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Even down here in zone 7 I put my trees in a windbreak and cover the pot/soil with a layer of dry leaves. No wonter kill or branch dessication so far.
Yeah that’s a good idea too, decaying leaves also produce heat.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My procumbens survived -15C on a balcony and two winters on the bench. My ERC -15C on the bench. My mugos too.
I wouldn't worry too much about -6.

Top Bottom