Keeping the Graft

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
On the one hand, graft sites don't work well for bonsai. On the other hand, the graft base ostensibly makes the tree stronger. Is it an at all viable solution to ground layer the tree immediately below the graft so that you keep the strong base, but the graft site itself becomes part of the thickness of the base of the trunk and adds to taper? I'm assuming since that's never talked about (as far as I've seen) and not really that clever of an idea, it must not be a great one. Probably because the graft site would still clearly be a graft site and not look good, I'm guessing?

Side note: how risky is an air/ground layer? I've got a Japanese Maple I just bought that's grafted about 3" up, and the trunk is maybe a half inch (if that). I'd like to get rid of the graft as soon as possible if that's the direction I'm going (thinking ground layer), but I'm also unwilling to risk killing the whole tree right after I bought it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are far more great grafted bonsai than some would lead you to believe. Many are so good that it is not possible to pick the graft.
Grafting is not always bad as far as bonsai but bad grafts are not attractive.

The lower on the trunk a graft is the less likely it will be a visual problem. As the lower trunk widens and merges into roots it disguises any small flaws in graft union. I know some very accomplished bonsai grafters who use this to create really great stock. Some varieties are so hard to grow on own roots that this sort of grafting is the only viable way to get viable stock. Again, probably not talked about because most people would overlook the fact that the graft is so low.
layering just below a graft union can be desirable for the reasons you have outlined. I had some crab apples grown that way.

All operations carry some risk. Once you have mastered the technique layering should give 90+% success rates or even higher?
You should probably do some trial runs on expendable material to get practice and confidence before trying your special tree.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I have successfully ground layered under the graft for vigour purposes. keeping the graft means you get a stronger root system and means your maple won’t up and die for no reason after 2-3 years.
Charles

Top Bottom