Keeping trees inside over night?

CuriousLayman

Sapling
Reaction score
I know you can't keep an outside tree inside. But I have few trees: crabapple, japanese maple, japanese larch that have started leafing out already. It was 70f today but it will be 21f Friday night. Would you just cover them or set them inside over night?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Either will work. We joke about the "bonsai two-step" but that is exactly what people are referring to - running their trees in and out when frost threatens.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know you can't keep an outside tree inside. But I have few trees: crabapple, japanese maple, japanese larch that have started leafing out already. It was 70f today but it will be 21f Friday night. Would you just cover them or set them inside over night?
Inside, preferably in not too warm a place. 21 is damn cold after leafing out and 70 something.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With my trident now fully leafed out, it will be spending essentially half of the next month indoors under a grow light. So far, it is producing strong, healthy growth. The only other tree I have that is leafing out is my Stewartia, which arrived in the mail that way.

With temperatures forecast to go as low as 16F here in a few days, most of my trees will be going in the shed with a space heater to keep temps 32F +. Why risk anything if I can easily protect all my trees. With a larger collection, keeping them as cold as possible for as long as possible would/ be my strategy.

I even let my little venus fly trap freeze for almost 2 months, turning everything but the center rosette black. Now with the warm up, it is pushing growth like crazy, so in it goes.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Yup in and out for the next 4 weeks for me. Just a crab and elm tho. The rest are luckily still sleeping

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did exactly this with one tree "supposed" not cold hardy. Finally put out as some small growth happening then one day was covered with frozen rain:eek::eek:! Back inside, thawed and fine. Back outside several frosts later and new growth undamaged:confused:. If is actually Cork Oak then reasonably hardy here:D.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine are still frozen to the ground. Plus we got 6 inches of fresh snow today. Things are looking good.
Winter is not done yet...is it?
I think a layer of snow at this time of the year is still good.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
"You can't keep an outside tree inside" is the general rule but the reason is deciduous trees should be driven by the seasons.
If it already thinks it's Spring, you're just helping it if you create a "springish" environment inside while outside it went back to Winter ;-)

Top Bottom