keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Let's have a stab at this - southeast UK - seeds just bought:

dollar_seeds on eBay, two packets of 10-off Mikawa JBP
&
www.bonsaiplaza.com, two packets of ?-off Mikawa JBP
(also, if allowable)
treeseedonline.com from an order I did in April 2017, "5 grams" of leftover plain JBP seeds

Let's see how this turns out! :)

Last edited:

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Well two packets from Dollar_Seeds = 1 floater / 19 sinkers after 2 days.

Into the fridge they go!

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Two packets from BonsaiPlaza = 72 seeds, now in water...

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Bonsai Plaza = 11 floaters, 61 sinkers, fridge time

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I chucked them into trays (std) and pots (Mikawa) and outside, Perlite or cat litter (Molar) or both mixed, during March.

It's a pretty gloomy garden in a pretty country (!) but moving them into mini greenhouses helped, the first std ones are finally moving...

Attachments

• 0-KJBP18b.jpg
    0-KJBP18b.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 47

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I really should update this, I've got photos on my phone I can upload....

I took seedling cuttings of roughly 1/3 of my "plain" JBP and 95% made it surprisingly (to me). However they, the other 2/3 of plain and especially the Mikawa types are all developing purple needles. I'm hoping it's just because the weather's getting colder but it's still disturbing, I quarantined the first ones to do it thinking it was a fungus caused by the mini greenhouses I've got them in!

Anyone else getting the same? It's the "older needles"....that are not THAT old, everything other than the freshest ones round the bud.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine arte also geting purple needles, put a few under a growing light and their needles stayed green. It's a lack of sunlight thing….

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I've got two (older) ones indoors that never did it, the purple ones are outside - I was getting worried that my whole batch might have needle cast...

Yup, Hastings area on the coast, you probably drove past me! :p

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mine arte also geting purple needles, put a few under a growing light and their needles stayed green. It's a lack of sunlight thing….
Mine are in full sun, well fed and still have that purple color. It's a reaction to cold; many green plants do it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin shows that it can be a response to temperature stressors.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My red pines experiencing the same thing last year, turned back green just before spring. Some turned back green halfway through winter.
If you put the purple ones indoors, or at a higher temperature for a few days (or two weeks maybe) they should turn back green as well. If you spray them with 30% hydrochloric acid, they will turn completely vivid red. Don't do that, it's not good for them and they will certainly die. But it looks pretty.
The purple pigments are protecting molecules that prevent stress damage. They show up when temperatures rapidly decline or when plants are highly stressed from other factors (although in conifers that usually doesn't happen, herbs do it all the time).

It shouldn't be a big deal and it's a completely natural response. It differs a lot from plant to plant, I have jack pines that are both dark green as well as completely purple. Some of my black pines express the same thing. Scots pine doesn't do it in my backyard for some reason.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I planted my seedlings pots in the ground maybe 2 weeks ago and the purple ones started to green up and they're even still growing. i saw a thread somewhere where someone had a 1 or 2 year jbp that turned completely brown then woke up in spring.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Still suffering from the relative gloom in the UK I reckon! Mikawa in the round pots, plain in the tray and cuttings from plain in the teabags....

Attachments

• Photo 25-02-2019, 16 12 20.jpg
    Photo 25-02-2019, 16 12 20.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo 25-02-2019, 16 13 29.jpg
    Photo 25-02-2019, 16 13 29.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo 25-02-2019, 16 14 01.jpg
    Photo 25-02-2019, 16 14 01.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo 25-02-2019, 16 12 08.jpg
    Photo 25-02-2019, 16 12 08.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 38

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Overdue update. Not that they are doing as well as planned...!

I’ve not been maintaining them as well as I could have, will have see if I can turn that around. :)

E1669942-80E5-4824-B51D-E355B4DF3F05.jpeg
701823D1-AE8A-4494-8EDE-43BEB7463780.jpeg

Top Bottom