Kev’s “this is not a contest tree” - olive

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a far more promising start with this larger tree. I hope you can provide a sunny window in the cool months and I hope it does very well for you! That trunk looks promising and new buds too! Don’t water too much as now it is chopped, on top of the stress of shipping, it will be VERY easy to get root rot. Keeping it a little on the dry side is your best bet, but not bone dry either. More so if it isn’t out in the hot sun. Good luck and happy growing!

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a far more promising start with this larger tree. I hope you can provide a sunny window in the cool months and I hope it does very well for you! That trunk looks promising and new buds too! Don’t water too much as now it is chopped, on top of the stress of shipping, it will be VERY easy to get root rot. Keeping it a little on the dry side is your best bet, but not bone dry either. More so if it isn’t out in the hot sun. Good luck and happy growing!
It's on a south facing balcony and in a gallon pot. Still looks damp even though i don't really recall when last i watered it. Day times are 30 degrees plus, and nighttime high 20's with a real feel of 30. I think the brutal heat and humidity is speeding up the growth.

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two olives that have to stay inside under lights 8 months of the year because of my Canadian climate. I've had them for four or five years and ever time I move them in or out, they loose all their old leaves and replace them with more adaptive ones. Big and floppy indoors, small and firm outdoors. They are very tough once established. I love them, but they demand a lot of light

Very good to know.. Just had this happen to my bougainvillea.
OP, it's great that your trunk chop is starting to revive! I just did the same for a thuja (hoping for the best). As Gustavo says, it may take some time before any major results.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you guys seal cuts after chopping olive trunks in summer? Gonna chop one...

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anytime you have to chop and can't get a sealer you like, or your sealer isn't good enough to stop sap from gushing out, use super glue. It really works well. A thin coat is enough and over time weathers away as the tree grows. It is used extensively on succulents in particular to stop die back, rot, and drying too much but I've also used it for years on regular trees with great results. If you get it on too thickly or it drips. you can go back and do a clean up with a touch of acetone later once it has initially healed and won't seep into live tissue. Better though to use it lightly. Liquid works better than gel. If you don't like the look of it, you can put regular cut paste right over it or touch up with thinned acrylic paint to blend it darker.

Top Bottom