Key words to look for to know if a pot is able to withstand winter outdoors

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen...fired cone 10...Just curious if there is a rule to follow for things like that...when one is looking at pots. That ones mind can trigger knowing the meaning of terms and what not.

All information is appreciated...thanks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A pot that has been 'fired' should be able to withstand the rigors of winter.

Any quality pot from a reputable maker should be safe. The key is to research the particular brand/maker as best you can prior to purchase.

Ive purchased a few Yixing pots. They arent on the same level as Tokonome in terms of fame or cost, but so far they seem to be able to withstand winter conditions.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A pot that has been 'fired' should be able to withstand the rigors of winter.

Any quality pot from a reputable maker should be safe. The key is to research the particular brand/maker as best you can prior to purchase.

Ive purchased a few Yixing pots. They arent on the same level as Tokonome in terms of fame or cost, but so far they seem to be able to withstand winter conditions.

I found one I really liked...at cone 10 high fire. I am thinking of tossing that juniper in it for now...or maybe one I pick up at a nursery for hands on fun down the road. Really love the dark colors in it.

image_zps25679a2d.jpg

image_zpsc96dcf56.jpg

image_zpsaf4f829e.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not familiar with 'cone 10 high fire', is that the brand or the process?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

The process...individual pot maker. Not mass produced. I just was intriqued by the coloring. I sent them a message...waiting to hear back. But was curious if there were key words that would help ones knowledge.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

I think it's a higher temperature firing in the kiln. This is desirable because it drives ALL water from the clay, not just 99% (or whatever). This makes them more durable in areas that have hard freezes during winter.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it's a higher temperature firing in the kiln. This is desirable because it drives ALL water from the clay, not just 99% (or whatever). This makes them more durable in areas that have hard freezes during winter.

Not sure about that. ;)

I believe (and I may be mistaken) that at this temperature, the clay particles melts and fuses with each other and closes those pores where water can seep in. This makes them cold weather hardy.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sorry, absorbed water vs retained water. I was thinking in the right direction I just remembered wrong.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The process...individual pot maker. Not mass produced. I just was intriqued by the coloring. I sent them a message...waiting to hear back. But was curious if there were key words that would help ones knowledge.

As with most things in bonsai, knowledge comes from exposure to different things, research and discussions like these.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Darlene,

To answer your question. From the chart I posted, cone 8-10 is ideal and so is the corresponding temperature range for those. Sometimes you will see a vendor say fired at 1280*C (or 2336*F)...that makes it cone 9. :)

Also note that HUGE difference between cones 8-10 vs. 010-08. A sneaky pot maker may post one as fired at cone 010 in hope people will interpret/assume it as 10. :p

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene,

To answer your question. From the chart I posted, cone 8-10 is ideal and so is the corresponding temperature range for those. Sometimes you will see a vendor say fired at 1280*C (or 2336*F)...that makes it cone 9. :)

Also note that HUGE difference between cones 8-10 vs. 010-08. A sneaky pot maker may post one as fired at cone 010 in hope people will interpret/assume it as 10. :p

Thanks for the heads up...going to study that chart...and get a grasp for it. This heads up post...made me realize I over looked your link. So thanks again!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Key words- "high fired", "stoneware", "Porcelain", "vitrified"...all these usually indicate a pot will be frost proof.

Thanks Dav...for some key words to look for. With my plans on working with zone friendly bonsai. It came to me...I need some pots that will withstand frost. Because even in an unheated
I would imagine it still an issue being no heat through winter in Ohio.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about shape? If the lip curls inward will expansion of the soil break even a high fired pot?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Darlene, 8 to 10 for your zone will last the longest in your area if they are clay based. Nothing lasts forever but we have 8, 9, and 10 fired here take any Winter for a lot of years. Cone firing and clay is more complex then what I am trying to say not being a potter but is my understanding if you are dealing with a clay pot that 8 through 10 is a high fire and the end result is almost non porous clay. So... in my climate a high fired pot does not have the ability to take on moisture as well as a common clay flower pot. The result is we can take a 1/2 inch deep high fired oval from Charles Iker and wire an Elm into it and winter it in mulch. It does not rupture from freeze and defrost because it does not take on to much moisture. To clarify there are similar "pretty" pots that are not high fired and if you are putting tropicals in them which stay indoors for the winter they are fine and will service you well indoors. This site has a clear chart of cone fire temps and it is a good idea to look into it before tossing down cash. https://www.bigceramicstore.com/info/ceramics/cone-chart.html

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How about shape? If the lip curls inward will expansion of the soil break even a high fired pot?

Yes. There were threads about that here too. Not just because of temperature...plain root growth can be the culprit. Cascade posted one that popped...a shame since it is a nice pot too.

I do not like those shape for that very reason...not to mention harder to repot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:confused: Lip curls in. So like if the side of the pot is round? I had the cherry put into the green pot. I liked the feminine curves of it...so, do I have anything to worry about in a unheated building come winter next year?

image_zps441ded45.jpg

Top Bottom