Khall azalea 2020- 2025 entry

Khall

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi everybody,
I am just starting trying my hand at bonsai. I've wanted to for a while and decided to give it a try. Any advice or tips anyone would like to share would be great! Here are some photos of the azalea.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice, what are your plans for the final look of the tree?

Khall

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My thought was to wait and see how well it back buds and most likely leave 2 of the 3 large branches. I was concerned about cutting it back too far and it dying back. They're pretty evenly spaced so I thought I'd wait and see how the develop before making that determination.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How's the tree doing? Any update pics?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Khall

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here is a quick update on the tree so far this year. We just had a baby in March so I really haven't done anything to it other than feed and water to let it grow. Right before it started blooming a few tussock caterpillars got on it and had a buffet but it was just a few of the early flowers and some leaves on the higher branches that will be cut anyway.

I am hoping to cut it back considerably shorter after it's done blooming. My biggest issue is going to be finding a new apex as the 3 large branches all kind of naturally go out. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a good solution.

Attachments

• 20210429_134854.jpg
    20210429_134854.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 14

Khall

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here is a quick update on the tree so far this year. We just had a baby in March so I really haven't done anything to it other than feed and water to let it grow. Right before it started blooming a few tussock caterpillars got on it and had a buffet but it was just a few of the early flowers and some leaves on the higher branches that will be cut anyway.

I am hoping to cut it back considerably shorter after it's done blooming. My biggest issue is going to be finding a new apex as the 3 large branches all kind of naturally go out. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a good solution.

Attachments

• 20210429_134815.jpg
    20210429_134815.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210429_134703.jpg
    20210429_134703.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom