Kifu Bougainvillea glabra

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One of my first trees.
Purchased in a 3 gallon nursery pot at a landscaping depot.
Declined when I didn't have access to my plants after my ex and I split.
I've told the story a few times, but I had an automatic sprinkler system there so they were at least watered for 8 months.

First pic, initial styling at my old apartment, about 4 years ago.

Second pic, after about a year of development.

Third pic, was early 2015 shortly after I got my trees back into my care.

Fourth pic, after work today. Repotted with a slight angle change because I removed a lot of unruly roots on the left side and needed to get it deeper in the pot, not permanent. I also removed a large root emerging from a point higher than the others on the right. Cut back all of the branches to nubs and sealed the cuts with Duct Seal (after taking the photo).

Attachments

• Untitled image (9).jpg
    Untitled image (9).jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Untitled image (8).jpg
    Untitled image (8).jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Untitled image (7).jpg
    Untitled image (7).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Untitled image (10).jpg
    Untitled image (10).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 89

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's very nice (the second pic is nice with the flowers). The only thing is the taper could be better.

Reaction score
Looks like the tree is hugging someone/thing on the left. Good thing it made it back to you alive. Would be a damn shame if it had died.
What are your future plans for it? How do you want it too look like?

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Cypress; being that it was one of my first purchases, and from a landscaping depot, I didn't have the discerned eye for taper. I don't think the taper is horrible though. It's not a sumo tree.

@darlene; cut back to have another shot at building branches with better movement, taper and ramification. The old branches were too far out.

@tenta; I lost 20+- trees during that time. I would have traded this tree for the majority of those that died. My plan is to continue growing. The intial style is set, I just would like the tree to be tighter.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think the taper is horrible though.

It isn't and the way you are training it will be so full it will never be seen. Nice save, I am certain it will work out.

Grimmy

Reaction score
@tenta; I lost 20+- trees during that time. I would have traded this tree for the majority of those that died. My plan is to continue growing. The intial style is set, I just would like the tree to be tighter.

Those must've been really good. Pity you lost 'em. I look forward to see the progression on this one.

Top Bottom