KIFU TRIDENT MAPLE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is a relatively new addition to my garden. A Japanese imported trident maple that made its way to a private collection in Connecticut. Last year it was up for sale and decided to acquire it as I don't have anything quite like it. It has a massive nebari in which currently a portion of it is hidden underneath the soil. When I bought the tree it was nearly about 40% larger with some blunt branch tips and other unnecessary branches that were not additive to the overall design. It was cut back heavily and branch structures simplified in the process in an effort to rebuild them with better transitions and refinement.

Originally it came in an Anderson flat which at this stage of development I felt was unnecessary. It was recently repotted into a shallow 18" Yamafusa pot that I am using as a training container for now. At this time, I took the opportunity to make some approach root grafts to further improve the excellent nebari which extends out radially about 11" while the tree is only 10" tall from soil level.

Below, working late one evening doing grafts and working the roots.

IMG_2896.jpg

The tree as it looked today in its new training pot.

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Beautiful tree. The pot is great too, it brings out some grey/blue tones in the trident that I’ve never consciously noticed before. Or my eyes are tricking me.

Reaction score
I really like this tree, great pot too

I like how tridents don’t ramify as densely as Japanese maples

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did you think they should be closer to the trunk?
That was what I expected.
I think what @MACH5 has done will tend to make the long roots longer. Closer in, lets say all the way to the root collar, would tend to make a larger collar or a bit of a pancake nebari. In between the two extremes would lead to something like paws with claws, which is what I expected, given that this tree is a little monster, IMHO.

Last edited:

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Here is a relatively new addition to my garden. A Japanese imported trident maple that made its way to a private collection in Connecticut. Last year it was up for sale and decided to acquire it as I don't have anything quite like it. It has a massive nebari in which currently a portion of it is hidden underneath the soil. When I bought the tree it was nearly about 40% larger with some blunt branch tips and other unnecessary branches that were not additive to the overall design. It was cut back heavily and branch structures simplified in the process in an effort to rebuild them with better transitions and refinement.

Originally it came in an Anderson flat which at this stage of development I felt was unnecessary. It was recently repotted into a shallow 18" Yamafusa pot that I am using as a training container for now. At this time, I took the opportunity to make some approach root grafts to further improve the excellent nebari which extends out radially about 11" while the tree is only 10" tall from soil level.

Below, working late one evening doing grafts and working the roots.

View attachment 288862

The tree as it looked today in its new training pot.

View attachment 288863

View attachment 288864

View attachment 288865

View attachment 288866
OMG there you go again!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That was what I expected.
I think what @MACH5 has done will tend to make the long roots longer. Closer in, lets say all the way to the root collar, would tend to make a larger collar or a bit of a pancake nebari. In between the two extremes would lead to something like paws with claws, which is what I expected, given that this tree is a little monster, IMHO.

Oso, keep in mind that a portion of the nebari is still buried. These grafts are not at all located at the ends of the larger roots. Some those grafts were done about half way to 3/4s the way in. I placed them now in spots that looked to me to be the most visually "critical". Very possible that more will come in the future.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really like this tree, great pot too

I like how tridents don’t ramify as densely as Japanese maples

Hmmmm... actually they do ramify (or at least can be ramified) much more densely than A. palmatum. Sometimes in older specimen trees in Japan you can barely see inside!

Reaction score
Hmmmm... actually they do ramify (or at least can be ramified) much more densely than A. palmatum. Sometimes in older specimen trees in Japan you can barely see inside!
Oh cool I’ll look closer into this

When I see nice maples (online 🤣, I’ve never seen anything like this in real life)

To identify- First thing i do is spot the branches then the bark. Ramification is often much thinner on tridents

Anyways, awesome tree and thanks for posting

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a stunning tree! Absolutely beautiful!

Because I don't understand how it is done, I'm trying to figure out how the top/taper was created. Would you mind providing any pictures from the back side @MACH5?
Or maybe a close up from the trunk?

This part seems odd?
IMG_4277kopie.jpg

Top Bottom