"killed" a bald cypress by overfeeding?

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So I got a new bald cypress last week. I went through my regularly scheduled feeding earlier in the week and now the cypress looks dead. All the foliage (once green and lush) is now brown and dry. I used miracle grow liquid at double strength... did I over feed and kill it? All my other trees respond to this feeding schedule very well.

I'm hoping that at least new buds will break and the tree isn't completely dead...

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I would flush the soil as soon as poss. with as much water as posible, to try and remove the miracle grow... than sit it in the shade and wait, water maybe once a week untill leaves return... good luck with it.
In the future I would baby any new tree, untill it gets used to your feeding schedule.

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would flush the soil as soon as poss. with as much water as posible, to try and remove the miracle grow... than sit it in the shade and wait, water maybe once a week untill leaves return... good luck with it.
In the future I would baby any new tree, untill it gets used to your feeding schedule.

Cool... flushed it yesterday and it rained all day today, off to the shade now.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You said you got it last week. Was it shipped? Was it dry when you got it? I'm a bit skeptical that one dose of double strength feed would kill it.

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You said you got it last week. Was it shipped? Was it dry when you got it? I'm a bit skeptical that one dose of double strength feed would kill it.

I got it in person from a nursery last Saturday. It was healthy, moist and positioned in full sun. Since then it's been in full sun, been watered and has not dried out excessively. We had a hot week... but I don't think that it was without water anywhere near enough to cause damage.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, that's really strange then. Hope it pulls through.

Reaction score
I would agree that it seems funny that one dose of double strength feed would send it into shock, I have a feeling that It might have though... I know it has been hot lately, but cypress, funny enough can be drought tolerant as well, and if you watered it... the only other time usually a plant will go into shock that fast would be if it was in the shade and you brought it out into the full sun, but since it was in the sun... leads me back to the feed, was the only thing new... I would not repot, or any thing drastic, keep it in the shade(like mentioned), and watch the watering... very little water till the leaves return... Of course I think we are going to get more rain in the next week, than we have gotten the whole year, might have to bring it out of the rain...
let us know what happens...

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the future I would get to know our tree before doing any fertilization then starting off with a very diluted solution and slowly over time increase the dosage so that if it starts to react badly it will be apparent and not sudden, so that its dosage can be reduced before the tree goes into shock or gets too stressed out.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
If it was repotted or collected this year before you purchased it you probably burned the new rootlets. Flushing the fertilizer out was the best you could do at this point.
Like the others said get to know the tree before you do too much to them.
I am curious though, why do you double the fertilizer dose?

Bob O

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are there any animals, like cats or dogs, that are around the plant? A dose of urine or repeated doses of urine, will burn roots pretty easily...

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's aaaalive.... new buds popping out all over the bottom half of the trunk, it looks like I'll lose the top part though. Hey, better than nothing and another bonsai lesson learned (almost the hard way).

I guess now I'll give it some more time and see where I stop getting new buds, chop it just above the highest bud, then let that grow to be the new leader?

Reaction score
I am glad to hear it... if it was me, even though we have a long growing season here in florida, I would just let it go for the rest of the year, and chop it this winter after the foilage has all fallen. Personally, I find that the best time to do most major work anyways.

radsnell

Sapling
Reaction score
In general with bald cypress, you can't over-water or over-fertilize. As long as they are pre-bonsai and in big growing containers, I feed them with Plantone on the soil, Osmocote in the soil, and weekly Miracle Gro liquid feeding. Also foliar feed periodically. I know Guy Guidry regularly feeds them with full strength Miracle Gro. I have had a few brown and lose foliage for whatever reason, but they always pop back with new foliage. In fact, I defoliate them 2 or 3 times a year to re-wire and get a new flush of pretty green foliage. Glad yours popped back.

Boyd

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Don't be in a hurry to chop. The dead part of the trunk is not sucking any resources from the tree and you may decide tou can add it to the overall design with some artful carving.

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... I know Guy Guidry ...
In fact, I defoliate them 2 or 3 times a year to re-wire and get a new flush of pretty green foliage. Glad yours popped back.

Boyd
2 ,3 times eh, cool
Florida...right??

:)

Top Bottom