Killing Irish Moss

Reaction score
I have a problem that my Bonsai's have Irish Moss. It is very difficult to stop. I have to constantly remove it by hand. Is there anything I can do to kill the moss without harming the plants?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mix up a solution of about 3% glyphosate (Roundup) and dab the foliage with one of those disposable foam detail paint applicators.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mix up a solution of about 3% glyphosate (Roundup) and dab the foliage with one of those disposable foam detail paint applicators.

And just hope you don't spill any of the plant killer in your tree, sorry, this is just a BADidea, di I say it is a Bad idea, my opinion anyway.

If you spill a little vinigar no problem spill some round up well good (wish this was in the bar) luck.

If you use the other idea , take the time to remove the tree from the soil first, then kill the weeds.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bill is 1000% correct. Don't bring anything like Roundup close to your tree !!! What a BAD idea B-nights.

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While I'm pretty sure you could be careful enough in applying Roundup to avoid damaging your tree (you have to get it on the foliage), I've found it pretty ineffective at killing it in my yard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Roundup is not a bad idea. Just use some common sense.
I think everyone knows to not spill it on your tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I think everyone knows to not spill it on your tree."

Yeah, BUT inadvertent spills, splashes can ruin your day...Glysophosphate is NOT something you want on your tree. Although it's apparently not really dangerous in the soil, it IS very potent when it comes in contact with foliage. If you apply just before a rainstorm, for instance, the stuff would splash onto the tree...

I get irish moss on just about all of my trees--all two dozen of them. I remove it by hand. Doesn't take that long. The trick is to get it as soon as it appears, allowing it to get past one plant results in heavy matting (which still isn't all that hard to remove by hand).

Top Bottom