Killing my tree?

Reaction score
Very new to bonsai, picked up a cheapy tree from a big chain store. It started out healthy looking (to me that is) and now after almost a month it has dropped all its leaves. No idea where I am going wrong. It sits under a single LED grow bulb as I do not have the means to have it outside, and I live in a basement suite so window is out of the option.

Attachments

• F49662AC-8961-455C-8F2F-E60775800D1D.jpeg
    F49662AC-8961-455C-8F2F-E60775800D1D.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 70
  • D2F23C41-BA7B-4DAD-B122-F6182DB172A2.jpeg
    D2F23C41-BA7B-4DAD-B122-F6182DB172A2.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 59

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Some trees will drop their leaves simply from changing their environment. Ficus are pretty tough and don't require a ton of light, so the grow bulb will probably suffice for the winter. Water sparingly, since it is currently leafless. Hopefully, it will start budding out soon. A light scratch on the bark might tell you if its's still alive. Green, generally = alive.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Very new to bonsai, picked up a cheapy tree from a big chain store. It started out healthy looking (to me that is) and now after almost a month it has dropped all its leaves.
Amazing question and before I start I only have been doing bonsai well 2 years ago I had to trees and for like 2 months I started again and haven’t killed any trees recently but I think I can help you

as you can see your tree does look healthy and you have to realize that trees do drop leaves if In shock or winter of course . Make sure you know how to water ! Also everyone’s first/cheap trees die so yeah sorry to break it to you

Reaction score
It is green under the bark. Ive done alot of reading on how to water it. The one thing im a little lost on, is how long I should have the light on for?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It is green under the bark. Ive done alot of reading on how to water it. The one thing im a little lost on, is how long I should have the light on for?
I think 16 hours on, 8 off is the most common.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing question and before I start I only have been doing bonsai well 2 years ago I had to trees and for like 2 months I started again and haven’t killed any trees recently but I think I can help you

as you can see your tree does look healthy and you have to realize that trees do drop leaves if In shock or winter of course . Make sure you know how to water ! Also everyone’s first/cheap trees die so yeah sorry to break it to you
It’s not dead yet, it might just be a good actor and I still see some greenery.

I noticed from the pictures that it’s had a repot. So it could be the combination of the repot + new environment within the same timeframe that’s shocked it a little.

Top Bottom