sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ordered my 0.00 Scale for testing Absorption.

0264799_globe-gps10-10-lb-portion-control-scale.jpg

No more guesswork!

It will be a giant relief to finally REALLY GUARANTEE the frost/freeze proof nature of these pots!

I have bits of each body from each firing to test....though there will be a little variance due to position in kiln, I will attempt to get results to everyone who already has a Sorce pot.
And again....should anything said to be vitreous proce not vitreous, and/or breaks due to frost, I will replace the pot in time with something equal or better.

You support is Greatly Appreciated.

Scale means time to mix my own glazes too!

Oh.....shit is getting real!

And....I can start a new Apartment Maintenance job in Lakeview tomorrow if I want!

Life is good!

Fuck Work!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree in a sorce pot. Feral Malus my 2nd grader yanked last year. Reduced a big tap root, but we think this will be the final angle.

Pot seems to work as advertised.

I thought about when we might see this earlier today....

Awesome!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Stickroot !

Going Gas Step 1....check!Capture+_2018-03-29-17-10-13.png
Capture+_2018-03-29-17-10-45.png

23.5in wide up from 17.5...

Going to pick it up tomorrow.
$50!

Fittin to strip it for parts and convert it to a downdraft.

It'll be a while before I get it all going, probly not till I move...

But I am furkin strurkin!
Kirtchin Furkin Surnkin!

Ashes to ashes....

Fire......? fire!

Sorce

P.S. @Leo in N E Illinois bought the pot that bought this so...guess who gets the first Pot!? Thanks Leo!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Stickroot !

Going Gas Step 1....check!View attachment 183878
View attachment 183879

23.5in wide up from 17.5...

Going to pick it up tomorrow.
$50!

Fittin to strip it for parts and convert it to a downdraft.

It'll be a while before I get it all going, probly not till I move...

But I am furkin strurkin!
Kirtchin Furkin Surnkin!

Ashes to ashes....

Fire......? fire!

Sorce

P.S. @Leo in N E Illinois bought the pot that bought this so...guess who gets the first Pot!? Thanks Leo!
Please install gas checks above each burner if they are facing downward, burnback goes boom.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I dropped in Sorce's castle on the way home from the farm. We sat around and chatted about all manner of things. Its funny, I understand everything Sorce says when we talk in person. So I went home with a few pots, I love them all, his orchid pot came out GREAT. love the glazes.

Glad I was able to finance your new acquisition.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please install gas checks above each burner if they are facing downward, burnback goes boom.

Lol! Boom!

I like this side input.

Got some time to research...
Lotta "weed burners" I call it a roofers torch.
Eh...
If I can't find a used convert kit...

I think I'll pipe up my own.

Seen an Aussie with a nice complete burner rig with airflow adjust, pressure regulator...
Pretty slick...

I'd love to see your rig if you ever get a minute.

Thanks!

Sorce

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol! Boom!

I like this side input.
I agree, pipe your own. Weed burner/roof torch are $50 each. You can probably save some money at the scrap yard.

Got some time to research...
Lotta "weed burners" I call it a roofers torch.
Eh...
If I can't find a used convert kit...

I think I'll pipe up my own.

Seen an Aussie with a nice complete burner rig with airflow adjust, pressure regulator...
Pretty slick...

I'd love to see your rig if you ever get a minute.

Thanks!

Sorce

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see this thread. I have a couple of kilns myself and mostly do porcelain and stoneware, and make my own molds. I've not done a lot of wheel throwing but as I get back into making pots I may pick up a wheel and try to knock some rust off. I have done a lot of ceramics over the years, though been taking a break the past few years to work on jewelry and painting instead. Now I'm trying to get back into bonsai, I need to get back to making my own pots. I'm totally not going out and making my own clay though, tyvm. That's back breaking work. Been there, done that. Making your own glazes is much more interesting.

Almost forgot to add - I have a big Skutt electric kiln with electronic controller and enviro-vent, and a smaller semi-portable porcelain kiln by Olympic that also has an electronic controller so I can ramp fire and do crystalized glazes, etc. Fun stuff! But they are both offline until we complete our move.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I am reading, there are plenty of people making quality wheel thrown pots in the USA. What people are looking for are rectangles. So if you have the ability to make quality slab pots you would have less competition.

If all you have experience making are wheel thrown pots, and start with round or oval pots. Consider trying to make some of your pots as unglazed. There seems to be fewer potters making unglazed pots of any style in the USA.

As far as glazes go, subtle glazes that complements the trees seem to be more appreciated by people looking to use the pot with a tree they already have. There are people that love bolder colors and patterns that just love the pot for the pots own sake.

Sorce has just started making his own pots and these are some of the things that have been discussed.

Here are two early rectangle pots that I have that Sorce made. I am looking for the right tree for it, I am thinking a flowering crab would go well with the glaze. Not sure what to do with the second pot yet.

Attachments

• 5BD29197-B69E-4CDF-90FC-E6CE61CB95DD.jpeg
    5BD29197-B69E-4CDF-90FC-E6CE61CB95DD.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 32
  • 49A44848-9F20-412E-B1A4-3B72A9D7CE7F.jpeg
    49A44848-9F20-412E-B1A4-3B72A9D7CE7F.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 6CCF4FCE-2342-48BC-87AB-FF5AE2A1955C.jpeg
    6CCF4FCE-2342-48BC-87AB-FF5AE2A1955C.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 22

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, did you pick up that cheap old kiln? If the firebrick itself is sound and not in too bad a shape, you can order new coils and a new pyrometer and put them in yourself for fairly cheap. I'd not trust that old controller though. You could try it but I would definitely fire using cones to test it and keep an eye on how accurate it is - and long term, look into ordering you a new controller. Barlett makes good ones but they aren't cheap. Both of my kilns use Barlett's and I like them a lot. I got both of my kilns new but they have seen a lot of use over the years and are still in great shape.

I don't have a gas fired kiln yet. Always wanted one so we'll see. It could be in my future! Good luck with it and keep us posted. ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, did you pick up that cheap old kiln?

Which one!? Lol! All 3 are cheap and Old!

The small electric Paragon is good to go, I only need an arm for the kilnsitter . but electric is getting old, and I will probly only use it for Shohin pots in the future so I don't know what will come of the paragon.

The larger Evenheat is not worth fixing for electric since I don't need that much electric space. It got marked as sold, I do not know of it is being held for me, or maybe was previously sold....but either way I keep my eye out for all types of old junk kilns for bricks and they're all over! So Gas is definitely in the future....and wood, and Ill probly do a pit fire this summer for s&g.

I"m totally hooked!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Sorce,

Nic just finished cleaning local clay for 16 x 6 inch tall
pots, for growing on J.B.pines.
K finally cleaned the clay he stole from the ants nest
and next month should see some small action.

NIc has been asked to make a shallow pot for a new tree.
Will show when he has dpne it.

Presently K has us [ Nic and Anthony ] painting paint by numbers
as decoration for the next house to be built.
The idea is if they are stollen, it is just p.b.ns

Now to find a pant's leg to stitch on one end and put a wire
hoop on the other end.
The idea is you clean the clay, it;s a slurry in the bucket.
Add white vinegar and it settles the clay slurry.
Then you decant the water, pouring the wet clay into one
bucket and finally the last bucket/s into the suspended pants
leg.
It hangs by the outdoor clothes line and drips dry.

The pant's leg has a cover and the first pourings have a bucket
under the leg, so the first drippings don't escape.s
As they are clay slurry. Later pourings only allow water out.
Have a great day in clay.
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce -- I have been enjoying my sorcemission dragon pot, and was wondering what you were up to in clay lately.

You gonna get your hands dirty soon?

I'll watch this space!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce -- I have been enjoying my sorcemission dragon pot, and was wondering what you were up to in clay lately.

You gonna get your hands dirty soon?

I'll watch this space!

Dragon #2!20181007_160449.jpg

Cascades.20181008_182323.jpg

Teapots for Lefties!
20181009_130044.jpg

Brainsketweaves!20181009_161611.jpg

More Cascades.20181010_204402~2.jpg

Rectangles.20181012_090744_Burst01.jpg

And Porcelain!20181013_113859.jpg

And a 20 pot Commission!

S