Kind of a unique bonsai

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I copied and pasted what was said about it. Warns against pesticides...I guess since I don't own this verity I didn't know this about some trees. Just thought it neat...would you call it windswept?

3. Buttonwood - Conocarpus erectus - Click here to view image

ADVANTAGES

Gorgeous dead wood on collected specimens.

Leaves dwarf with pot culture.

Unusual flowers.

Not fussy as to soil type.

DISADVANTAGES

Requires warmth.

Must never dry out.

Hard to obtain collected specimens.

CULTURAL HINTS

Keep warm and never below 50 Fahrenheit- especially roots.

Soil must be kept moist; never allow to dry out.

Avoid the use of pesticides as toxicity is common.

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/IndoorBonsai.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 132

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They are extremely touchy about cold. I wouldn't recommend growing outside of tropical areas. I had two that didn't like even my mild winters.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have one and plan on selling it as soon as I can. They are pretty easy to keep in tropical areas but I already have started bringing mine indoors overnight because it started wilting at just 50°. The good thing is I don't believe it's possible to overwater it as long as you have good draining soil. They are prized for their deadwood (but you probably know that).

P.S. Mine don't look nutin' like the one you posted a photo of.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one and plan on selling it as soon as I can. They are pretty easy to keep in tropical areas but I already have started bringing mine indoors overnight because it started wilting at just 50°. The good thing is I don't believe it's possible to overwater it as long as you have good draining soil. They are prized for their deadwood (but you probably know that).

P.S. Mine don't look nutin' like the one you posted a photo of.

Yeah, that's a picture of one you would see online promoting a pack of seeds ! :rolleyes:

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, that's a picture of one you would see online promoting a pack of seeds ! :rolleyes:

ed

I was thinking the same thing when I seen it. Seed sellers would do good in selling this photo with seeds they sell. Surely this is a collected piece. I was surprised it came up in my search. I wasn't searching this variety of tree. But, lucky person who does own it. Really interesting piece. Wish more was said about it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had one for 3 years. It did ok, not great. They are very picky about repots, that's when I lost mine. I even did the plastic bag thing after, and still lost it...
Luckily it wasn't a favorite, was given to me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had one for 3 years. It did ok, not great. They are very picky about repots, that's when I lost mine. I even did the plastic bag thing after, and still lost it...
Luckily it wasn't a favorite, was given to me.

Sorry to hear you lost yours...but, glad it wasn't your favorite. No desire to have one...just thought it intriguing...and let's face it. There aren't many of this variety that has a look like this.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not uncommon, really. If you don't live in Florida, you need a heated greenhouse.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not uncommon, really. If you don't live in Florida, you need a heated greenhouse.

Uncommon as in...the looks of the tree itself Adair. It looks rather gnarly. Surely this isn't a common styling is it?

But, I won't have a heated greenhouse. I have the cold greenhouse that will be heated. But, honestly...I also lose electricity in winter from ice storms...as well as spring from storms that take out power lines. Which can be out a good week.So...I figured trees that can withstand cold for the cold greenhouse could withstand periods without heat if must...since still sheltered.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have one, and there pretty tough and backbud at a ridiculous lvl, tolerate salty condition. I've left mine out to about 45 degrees but only short periods. I've lost one when I wanted to just leave it out to c what would happen. After a couple nights in the mid to low 40's it was a goner. I'm kinda tired of playing the cold temapture game so I'm getting rid of most my tropicals. Even in my area it's still a pain lol

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one, and there pretty tough and backbud at a ridiculous lvl, tolerate salty condition. I've left mine out to about 45 degrees but only short periods. I've lost one when I wanted to just leave it out to c what would happen. After a couple nights in the mid to low 40's it was a goner. I'm kinda tired of playing the cold temapture game so I'm getting rid of most my tropicals. Even in my area it's still a pain lol

I love my bougainvilleas...They are worth the trouble.;) Looking into another tropical...we shall see. I've kept a tropical hibiscus "potted" tree for many years in my sunroom. With an additional electric heater to keep it happy. But, can see the reasoning to having or wanting only zone friendly trees.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene,

Is the "unusual" the species? Or the styling?

Buttonwood bonsai are fairly common in Florida. They do have fantastic deadwood.

The styling: a windswept shouldn't have the bottom of the trunk go one way and then suddenly reverse its direction.

The tree you posted is very dramatic, but isn't "realistic".

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Roots

You're not the only Rootoholic! 1. Abelia 2. Azalea 3. Cork bark Elm 4. Ilex 5. JM

There's more but you get the point :D

Attachments

• Abelia.JPG
    Abelia.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Azalea.JPG
    Azalea.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Cork Bark Elm.JPG
    Cork Bark Elm.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Ilex.JPG
    Ilex.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 12
  • JM.JPG
    JM.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 9

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
general info

i dont know if you keep them [buttonwood] or not, but general practice is not to defoliate fully. I have before, and haven't experienced it, but they are known to dieback from a full defoliation, maybe something to do with vigor. so what's often done/preached is to cut the leaf to 1/3 or 1/2, which still is enough for the tree to photosynthesize. i guess whether you defoliate fully or cut the leaf depends on how much you care about losing your tree. it is also encouraged not to remove the leaf by hand, but to cut the petiole.

the great thing about buttonwood is that every leaf base has an auxiliary bud (on most varieties) and you're almost guaranteed a new branchlet to develop if you don't damage it during defoliation...this is why you cut the leaf petiole. and speaking of varieties, i'm not sure if there has been enough research done on them that any of them varieties are named or distinctly identified. Ed Trout has done a lot of work with them and somewhere online you may be able to find his leaf guide. the most sought after buttonwood have vivid red petiole and a broad but pointed leaf; the growth pattern is most ideal. some of the smaller leaf varieties don't back bud near as well.

you repot these in the heat of the summer. do not, do not, do not, touch the roots when the temperatures drop below 70F at night. you can also root these directly in water and you can not over water them, any size cutting; a twig to a 5ft trunk. buttonwood grow on the coast lines of the Americas, they love water. i'm not a soil snob, not in the least bit, but i use 50% nursery mix with my buttonwood to keep them from weeping mid day.

i've never attempted to grow a seed, but they do produce viable seeds which also flower like a furry round ball.

branches are fairly brittle as stems begin lignify, but if you're careful and use proper wiring technique, you can do a lot with them. especially if you pay attention where you point you leaves....

anything else you want to know, ask.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On our side they are 30' tall domed on domes trees, with amazing bark as they get older.
The driftwood is only common on small shrubs fighting for life on the windswept areas of the eastern coast.
However it has no resistance to termites.

The guys seem to have given up on them as they also have access to other trees and shrubs locally that can do a bit more.

It's a full sun shrub.

I have attached another type, same seeds but the growth pattern is different, more branches and branchlets.
Here is the test plant.
Should be interesting when it is left to trunk thicken to 3 or 5 inches and some more movement added in.
Good Day
Anthony

* Darlene if you look on Google you may find the images of Bougainvilleas as trees. The purple flowering type from Sub-Tropical Brazil forms thick trunks with age on our side.

Attachments

• buttonwood type.jpg
    buttonwood type.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 8

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On our side they are 30' tall domed on domes trees, with amazing bark as they get older.
The driftwood is only common on small shrubs fighting for life on the windswept areas of the eastern coast.
However it has no resistance to termites.

The guys seem to have given up on them as they also have access to other trees and shrubs locally that can do a bit more.

It's a full sun shrub.

I have attached another type, same seeds but the growth pattern is different, more branches and branchlets.
Here is the test plant.
Should be interesting when it is left to trunk thicken to 3 or 5 inches and some more movement added in.
Good Day
Anthony

* Darlene if you look on Google you may find the images of Bougainvilleas as trees. The purple flowering type from Sub-Tropical Brazil forms thick trunks with age on our side.

Thanks Anthony...I have seen many tree forms while spending time in Honduras. The one at the WGM Guest house is impressive! Huge thick trunk...just amazing. It's what drew my initial love of bougainvillea I believe. What it represents to me.

Top Bottom