Kind off mallsai chinese elm winter cut back

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought this elm last spring and didn't have the time to keep up in hedging back. It's kind of a generic old school pine structure, but I'm not sure I want to start over. I cut everything back today and cleaned off the top soil. I could probably cut it back more, but I undecided on its future. I'm not sure if I will put it into a bonsai pot next spring or into a training box or into the ground to grow out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This could make a good Penjing.

I think all these mallsaish type Chinese Elms would appreciate it.

Put it in a rock!

Sorce

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks! I was thinking peinjing too. Not sure sure about the rock. I don't really like rock plantings myself. There are exceptions of course.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elms grow fast. Girth it up! I actually would like to find a mallsai elm and grow that trunk out. But alas. They are nowhere to be found near me. You city folk are so lucky!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kennedy,

been watching this for a few days, I think Mike has the most sensible suggestion.
Allow the bottom branch to really thicken the trunk, and suppress the top for fine branching.
Roots?

If you could ground grow, even better.
Good Day
Anthony

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Kennedy,
I do not know how tall is this mallsai. One suggestion is to air layer above the first left branch. The top half has a nice movement, and the bottom half could become a bunjin. After air layering, you can grow them in the ground for a season to increase the trunk girth. I did air layering a mallsai into two shohin and posted it perhaps a year ago in this forum.
If you just grow the whole tree in the ground, it will be difficult to get good taper without some major chopping off and regowing new leaders during the process.

If you cannot find the old post, I wrote the mallsai air layering article in my blog:
www.bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com

Happy New Year!

Top Bottom