Kingsville box rock planting

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Two old Kingsvilles planted IN the rocks. I core drilled a 2 1/2 inch hole through each rock. Each tree was bare rooted, the roots washed and combed out. Then they were threaded through the holes in the rock and each rock was set in the tray. This was about 12-14 years ago. Each tree is throughly locked in it's rock. The rocks haven't been moved since the original placement. To "repot", the roots are cut around the perimeter of the rocks. Cut roots and soil are removed and fresh soil is put in the pot. I do this about every 3-4 years.

Height from table is 14 inches. The Tokoname pot is 24 inches long.

Mike

Attachments

• 2kvrocks-09rs.jpg
    2kvrocks-09rs.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 154

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great planting Mike, I like it.
One suggestion: can you put some top dressing onto the soil, something of a uniform color? Something more earthly. If it's meant to be a dry waterbed, a light color is fine, just needs to be more unformly colored. Right now, the grains are of various color (slightly distracting), and this screws of the scale that the landscape suggests. A more toned-down top dressing would re-establish the focus onto where it belongs.

Last edited:

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an interesting idea. I would like to give it a try. Are the rocks placed in the pot, wired in, or glued in?

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
This is an interesting idea. I would like to give it a try. Are the rocks placed in the pot, wired in, or glued in?

The rocks are just set in the pot. Very heavy rocks. The roots tend to keep them in place.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Great planting Mike, I like it.
One suggestion: can you put some top dressing onto the soil, something of a uniform color? Something more earthly. If it's meant to be a dry waterbed, a light color is fine, just needs to be more unformly colored. Right now, the grains are of various color (slightly distracting), and this screws of the scale that the landscape suggests. A more toned-down top dressing would re-establish the focus onto where it belongs.

Attila
I'd like to find enough moss to cover it. What you see now is Dyna-rok. This is what the roots are growing in. I'm using it because of the shallow pot. It holds more moisture than most anything else, but still has good drainage. The vendor claims it holds 150% of it's weight in water. Boxwood roots are happy in it.

Top Bottom