Kingsville boxwood shohin

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my Kingsville boxwood after pruning and repot. About 3 inches across at the base, and 9 inches tall. It grows like a weed, and gets only about an hour of sunlight per day, sitting against a north wall in my garden. I planted this tree a little deep this year to protect the nice roots like those in the close up of the trunk. The mix is 80% turface, 10% pumice and 10% akadama. I water and feed heavily, watering almost every day. I like the pot it is in, but am open to suggestions, thanks.

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC01055.JPG
    DSC01055.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 171

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little tree. I think the pot is OK, but a shallower oval would show off that great trunk. Boxwood do very well in shallow pots and even slabs. I've had my older boxwood in containers that are about an inch deep for years. Surface roots have improved considerably since planting then in shallower containers.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the advice on the pot. I will start to look for something in that direction. I originally wanted to put the tree in an oval, but just haven't found the right one.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah really, what he said.... That is one nice boxwood. I actually like the deep pot with it, it feels chunky....

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is very healthy and in a new pot. The old one cracked and I purchased a Max Bravermann pot for it. The new pot doesn't look right but I have a replacement ready for this spring. I will post pics this afternoon. Thanks for asking.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the pot this tree ended up in. It's way too big but I didn't have a suitable one at the time. I later found a nice cream colored oval that should look good with color of the leaves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 85

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's the pot this tree ended up in. It's way too big but I didn't have a suitable one at the time. I later found a nice cream colored oval that should look good with color of the leaves.
That's a beaut, Davetree. I have one that hopes to be as nice as yours, also destined to end up in a shallow white-ish pot I got for it from Ron Lang. Please keep pics of this standout coming. REALLY nice tree.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Beautiful boxwood, I love the way kingsville have a very natural way of spreading their canopy out to (what I call) the "broccoli" shape apex. You seem to have taken advantage of its natural habits, very cool little tree.

Few question Dave, how long have you had? how long has it been in training? any pics of what it first looked like?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful boxwood, I love the way kingsville have a very natural way of spreading their canopy out to (what I call) the "broccoli" shape apex. You seem to have taken advantage of its natural habits, very cool little tree.

Few question Dave, how long have you had? how long has it been in training? any pics of what it first looked like?

I have had this tree about 5 years. I don't have any original pics, it was just slightly smaller then. I really haven't done much except prune. Pretty easy to maintain.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! I'd be tempted to stay with the pot it's in though... It will look great in the oval too, but I love the feeling of age that the current pot has. Maybe there's a smaller twin to that one out there... lol

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Dan on the pot, outstanding boxwood you have there.

ed

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! I'd be tempted to stay with the pot it's in though... It will look great in the oval too, but I love the feeling of age that the current pot has. Maybe there's a smaller twin to that one out there... lol

Thanks for your comments. The previous pot was a rectangle that was just perfect. This one is just a shade too big and it makes the tree feel small. If I found a smaller rectangle with rounded corners I would consider it.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice boxwood. It definitely has that old oak tree shrunk down to fit in a pot look to it. Most of the kingsvilles I have seen (which have all been on the internet, not in person) go for that look, but the trunks are usually too thin to really get it. I think I like the current pot for it more than the cream one, but the cream color looks good with it. It's just that the current one makes it seem older somehow.

Top Bottom