Kingsville/Harlandi Boxwood winter care

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a few weeks ago it was mid 70's by next week it could be in the mid teens. My Kingsvilles and Harlandi are heeled into some beds. Do I need to pull them into the garage or should they be ok? I have seen Kingsvilles planted in the ground in these conditions and fair well but was a little worried about them in pots. I am less familiar with Harlandi. Both are protected from heavy wind.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Im not a boxwood expert but if they're heeled in and protected, I would think they should be okay. weird temperature flux though, is that the long term forecast or just one or two days? Im not too familiar with the southern climates so Ill let someone else chime in

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im not a boxwood expert but if they're heeled in and protected, I would think they should be okay. weird temperature flux though, is that the long term forecast or just one or two days? Im not too familiar with the southern climates so Ill let someone else chime in
Georgia weather has gotten weird over the last few years. We have had some major extremes in temp. Last winter we had a cold snap like this in December but the rest of winter was moderate with very few freezes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
plants are hardier than i think we take them for. but thats so weird, strange to see that cold of temps in your area in such a short time. worst comes to worst, it might be worth buying a little bit of frost cloth to soften those jumps in temperature if there is more crazy dips

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Inconsistent winter temperatures are the norm in Georgia. If you don't have a storage area, like a garage, the next best thing is to heel them in on the north side of your house and protect them from wind. The north side of your house should keep them shaded and help moderate temperature changes.

Top Bottom