Kinzu (Golden Bean kumquat)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I grafted Kinzu on Troyer citrange rootstock in 2013. At this time, it is bearing the flower buds. I'll let you know its history. The Kinzu scion was given to me from my bonsai teacher, Richard Ota, who got scion from Mr. Ohara 3 years ago. Mr. Ohara obtained a kinzu tree from UCR years ago. http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/hongkong.html

The fruits were from my teacher's kinzu.

Bonhe

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice results ;) Also looks like that graft joint will be easy to clean up and not be noticed in the future. Do you need other trees to pollinate that or will it fruit as is :confused:

Grimmy

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've thought about using citrus for bonsai at one point. They're just so darn susceptible to disease, pests, and die back it makes me hesitant. Another small fruiting one is the calamondin orange. The graft that small will blend in a short time.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice results ;) Also looks like that graft joint will be easy to clean up and not be noticed in the future. Do you need other trees to pollinate that or will it fruit as is :confused:

Grimmy
Thanks. It does not need other trees to pollinate.

I've thought about using citrus for bonsai at one point. They're just so darn susceptible to disease, pests, and die back it makes me hesitant. Another small fruiting one is the calamondin orange. The graft that small will blend in a short time.
My area is famous for citrus growth.
Next time, I will make a graft much lower than this.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree is in flowering few weeks ago.

and the fruits at this time. The color of small one is almost black!

the bigger one.

Bonhe

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the clear progress pictures! Looks like you have success!

Grimmy

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe, your plant maybe chlorotic. See the few yellowing leaves?
I am not so sure about it Si. The new leaves have dark green color. The old leaves have yellow parts which I think due to the site I placed this tree last year! I have been trying to find the best location for this tree for 2 years, and now I think I got it right! ;-)
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was this afternoon.
You can see its bright orange color and its craterlike surface!
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0520.JPG
    DSC_0520.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0517.JPG
    DSC_0517.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0516.JPG
    DSC_0516.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 89

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday!
Bonhe

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 83

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is bearing lot of fruit as this morning.
4.png 5.png 6.png

Ready for another grafting next year.
Below are 2 trees to which I grafted Kinzu on this year. They already bear few fruits!!
7.png 8.png 9.png

Bonhe

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You should actually plant these into large containers rather than grafting them to trunks. Kinzu is notoriously slow growing. So slow, that the roots thicken faster than the trunk. They easily propagate from the roots though. Min Hsuan Lo has a good blog post on creating Fortunella hindsii. Another good idea is to graft the scions to branches and use the trunk of other citrus. It will take a lifetime to grow a kinzu trunk.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a fun tree Bonhe! I have a small one that is growing it's first fruit.

@carp , do you have a link to the blog post?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should actually plant these into large containers rather than grafting them to trunks. Kinzu is notoriously slow growing. So slow, that the roots thicken faster than the trunk. They easily propagate from the roots though. Min Hsuan Lo has a good blog post on creating Fortunella hindsii. Another good idea is to graft the scions to branches and use the trunk of other citrus. It will take a lifetime to grow a kinzu trunk.
You are correct. Kinzu grows very slow on its own rootage but when it was grafted on rootstock such as Troyer citrange, it will grow really fast! I used Troyer citrange as rootstock. In one year, the new shoot can grow about 3 feet!
Bonhe

Top Bottom