Kiryuzuna (Kiryu in soil mix)

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi, not wanting to start a big discussion on sol mixes. I have 2 mixes ive been using from Bonsai Empire for a couple of years (below). I've read that Kiryu is good for conifers. which ingredient is best to swap out in to replace with Kiryu, from what ive read it sounds like its pumice, but i wanted to ask to be sure!
thanks all

1550360876040.png

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kiryu is a more dense pumice. It is an attractive looking particle, but it holds less water and air than standard pumice. So somewhere between pumice and lava.

I would reserve its use to top dressing, as it tends to be somewhat pricey.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Kiryu is a more dense pumice. It is an attractive looking particle, but it holds less water and air than standard pumice. So somewhere between pumice and lava.

I would reserve its use to top dressing, as it tends to be somewhat pricey.

Thanks, I already have loads. I managed to get it at a fairly good price close to that of akadama here.

So maybe a mix of:
33% akadama
22% pumice
22% lava
22% Kiryu

My aim is to try to encourage Mycorrhizal Fungi, so as top dressing won't do this will it?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For mycorrhiza you need to add something they can eat. If you use organic dry fertilizer like any of the "cake" type fertilizer, you are probably adding enough for the mycorrhiza. I use bark chips, as in bark for orchids, the seedling grade is about the right particle size. For endo-mycorrhiza, which are associated with Vaccinum, blueberries, and azalea, one should add a small amount of hardwood sawdust. I add 10% by volume for my blueberries, 2% to 5% for Satsuki and other Rhododendron family plant.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For mycorrhiza you need to add something they can eat. If you use organic dry fertilizer like any of the "cake" type fertilizer, you are probably adding enough for the mycorrhiza. I use bark chips, as in bark for orchids, the seedling grade is about the right particle size. For endo-mycorrhiza, which are associated with Vaccinum, blueberries, and azalea, one should add a small amount of hardwood sawdust. I add 10% by volume for my blueberries, 2% to 5% for Satsuki and other Rhododendron family plant.
Oh interesting I hadn't considered food for them. Does kiryu act as food? I haven't ever added bark to my mix before as I worry about root rot because either can be fairly wet here, particularly in winter.

Basically I've got about 8L or kiryu to use as it was cheap. I don't always use organic if fertilizer, but sometimes use naruko does that count as food for them?

Top Bottom