Kishu An itoigawa cuttings

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have some cuttings in a pumice tray with boon mix on top ( that’s just what I had I ran short on pumice so boon on top). My question is how long till I should see roots. I have the tray inside at room temp. An must at least twice a day An keep soil nice An moist.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't worry about the soil - worry about the foliage. You need to keep the foliage in high humidity so it doesn't dry out while there are no roots to provide water. If you don't have a greenhouse, it is best to find some way to create a humid micro-climate around the cuttings.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Juniper are easy- cuttings can be struck in mid winter right in the ground man, no real need for fancy technique. I know an old guy who used to grow them by the thousands and that is how he did it... the warm temperature and fancy mediums are not a requirement. I am sure misting is helpful but, again, not a requirement.

What I do is just keep them outside, take cuttings in mid/late winter (here that is late December through February... I even take them in Spring and Summer if I am prunning during that time but the rooting seems less consistent after about mid March)- I put them in 100% perlite in trays a couple inches deep, hormone optional.. once it starts getting hot I run a garden sprinkler with them right on the edge of the spray zone twice a day... get a really high percentage of success with relatively little effort.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Si Nguyen uses 5 gallon Home Depot buckets. :) I have used pond baskets with saran for small ones, but now I prefer some of the mini-greenhouses with the high plastic lids.

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
How long does it normally take to start seeing roots?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-6 months. But that is outside in the garden.

Why do you have them indoors? It is pretty much the worst environment for plants, and junipers really do not like it there.

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I only put them inside because the cuttings came from branches of trees styled on nov 18. The branches sat in a grocery bag misted daily to stay moist up till mid December when I finally took the cuttings an put in substrate. So it was already 10-20 degrees then so wasn’t sure if it was to cold out side. I’ll put them out if it is the proper thing. I’ll post picks tonight. When home. Thanks

Top Bottom