Kishu & Itoigawa cuttings

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little late in the season I know, but we're looking to buy as many Kishu and/or Itoigawa cuttings as we can get our hands on. Our normal supplier ran short this year and will not have any more until the 2019 season. Any quantity from 10 - 1,000. Minimum 10 cuttings to justify the shipping cost.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you tried Mark Comstock?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I sent him a PM on fb. He's usually pretty responsive.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to know what is done with 1,000 kishu cuttings in the first place

Plant them in a 10 acre field with 15,000 other trees to grow out.

I suppose there are a lot of other things that a guy could do with 1,000 cuttings, but we just need them for field planting. Excavation is almost done at our new location and loam and manure is being hauled in by the semi load and tilled in. We need to get them soon to get roots on them so they can go in the ground next spring.

I think we actually have one of your Kishu's Joe. We bought a piece of stock for a mother plant last year to grow out and start making our own cuttings from a local guy up north and if I remember right he said he got it from you. Or maybe there is another Joe on here, I cant remember that far back. Going to be a good number of years before its ready to be a mother plant, but it has seriously tight compact foliage and was one of the better kishu genetics I have seen. He would only sell us one little one, but if it was you he bought them from, and you ever do any major pruning on that tree again please keep us in mind.

Attachments

• IMG_20180517_121746.jpg
    IMG_20180517_121746.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20180519_123313.jpg
    IMG_20180519_123313.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 58

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sent him a PM on fb. He's usually pretty responsive.

Thanks Mate you have no idea how much I appreciate that. I gave up last year when I could never get him to reply. If you do reach him, let him know he can reach me on here if he is on the forum, or on our Facebook page. Here - https://www.facebook.com/StillwaterBonsai

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Plant them in a 10 acre field with 15,000 other trees to grow out.

I suppose there are a lot of other things that a guy could do with 1,000 cuttings, but we just need them for field planting. Excavation is almost done at our new location and loam and manure is being hauled in by the semi load and tilled in. We need to get them soon to get roots on them so they can go in the ground next spring.

I think we actually have one of your Kishu's Joe. We bought a piece of stock for a mother plant last year to grow out and start making our own cuttings from a local guy up north and if I remember right he said he got it from you. Or maybe there is another Joe on here, I cant remember that far back. Going to be a good number of years before its ready to be a mother plant, but it has seriously tight compact foliage and was one of the better kishu genetics I have seen. He would only sell us one little one, but if it was you he bought them from, and you ever do any major pruning on that tree again please keep us in mind.
Quite possible, I can’t recall the name of the gentleman I sold some to though. If it was me it likely came from this stock kishu plant here. It may even have a future as a bonsai itself one day, who knows. It’s only purpose originally though was cuttings.

Attachments

• 5139D946-3046-4D4B-B9A5-0A2E9F6CD3AA.jpeg
    5139D946-3046-4D4B-B9A5-0A2E9F6CD3AA.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 6872A9E8-FEA0-4F77-BF48-A7BA4DC5802B.jpeg
    6872A9E8-FEA0-4F77-BF48-A7BA4DC5802B.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 0909B93C-A21C-45E7-9E6F-71FFCB61EE0D.jpeg
    0909B93C-A21C-45E7-9E6F-71FFCB61EE0D.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 48

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dang. I pitched a lot of kishu and itoigawa back in January - which is our late winter / early spring. For the record, how large do you want them to be?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let me know if you need any Juniperus conferta or Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka'. I've got them in landscape and was getting ready to prune.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang. I pitched a lot of kishu and itoigawa back in January - which is our late winter / early spring. For the record, how large do you want them to be?

Couple inches, just have to have long enough of a stem on them to successfully root.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let me know if you need any Juniperus conferta or Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka'. I've got them in landscape and was getting ready to prune.

May be interested in a small quantity of 'Kaizuka'. We have not messed around with the Hollywood Juniper too much, mainly because they are not common on the east coast. Never played with one as a bonsai so my interest in them is purely one of curiosity to see how they perform as bonsai.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quite possible, I can’t recall the name of the gentleman I sold some to though. If it was me it likely came from this stock kishu plant here. It may even have a future as a bonsai itself one day, who knows. It’s only purpose originally though was cuttings.

That foliage looks just like it. I think is name was Larry or something like that. He's an old guy from up in the county here in Maine. Was starting a huge operation a few years back then fell ill last year at the young age of 70 something.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have not been able to reach Mark for a while now on Facebook. Unless you have another means of contacting him. Cannot find him on the forum here.

He probably has you blocked. If you had any type of an opinion that's not his he does that. He's a nasty critter.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He probably has you blocked. If you had any type of an opinion that's not his he does that. He's a nasty critter.

I don't share my opinions publicly often as the internet bonsai world is full of trolls and those with delicate sensitivities. I'm sure it's just because were not "friends" on facebook and when you are not friends with someone your messages go to a "message request" inbox instead of the main inbox.

On the other hand, if he does have us blocked for some reason such as you mentioned, it's probably for the best. We run a business and try not to do business with people who are unpredictable or unprofessional like that as in order for our clients and customers to be able to rely on us, we have to be able to rely on suppliers.

On an off topic note, i tried to check out your website (in your signature) it gives me an error page from WordPress, just wanted to let you know in case you were unaware. Seems a lot of people using WordPress have had similar issues lately.

Thanks for the info !

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Meehansminiatures.com in MD may have some for sale. Martha and Hugh are good people. You can get their email address on their website.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Have you tried Mark Comstock?
I don't share my opinions publicly often as the internet bonsai world is full of trolls and those with delicate sensitivities. I'm sure it's just because were not "friends" on facebook and when you are not friends with someone your messages go to a "message request" inbox instead of the main inbox.

On the other hand, if he does have us blocked for some reason such as you mentioned, it's probably for the best. We run a business and try not to do business with people who are unpredictable or unprofessional like that as in order for our clients and customers to be able to rely on us, we have to be able to rely on suppliers.

On an off topic note, i tried to check out your website (in your signature) it gives me an error page from WordPress, just wanted to let you know in case you were unaware. Seems a lot of people using WordPress have had similar issues lately.

Thanks for the info !
Thanks! I will get it fixed... there has been a ton of updates...

Top Bottom